Reasons not to install AOL on your new iMac?

Reaction score
fHi. I installed AOL on my new iMac desk computer because my friends all have my AOL e-mail address. Are there any good reasons to keep AOL off the iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
fHi. I installed AOL on my new iMac desk computer because my friends all have my AOL e-mail address. Are there any good reasons to keep AOL off the iMac?

Not really. Did you install AOL or did you set up your AOL account using the Mac Mail application? If you installed the actual AOL software, no real reason to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

There are a million good reasons to keep it off any computer. Most of them have to do with slowing it down..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The better question is "Why would you put "IT" on your computer?" in the first place.

A lot of us remember "IT" from years ago. "IT" was riddled with problems. They had no idea how to make "IT" work. Tech support was extremely bad. There is nothing "IT" does, that you can't do without "IT". There are things "IT" won't let you do (ex. thread from just a couple of days ago).

Outside of "IT's" own forums, (assuming "IT" has forums) you won't get much help from anyone that has been working on computers for any period of time with "IT". When you do get help with "IT", the help is generally going to be "remove 'IT'" from your computer.

Most people I know that did any tech support with Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, or for any of the large manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. would never allow "IT" to touch one of their machines ever again. "IT" left such a bad experience for most of us, "IT" will never be able to live it down. There definitely are no hardware enthusiasts that would allow "IT" on their rigs.

And last, we're not allowed to say bad words on this forum without repurcussions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
AOL is a bad word? ;)

Seriously though, my ex had to have it and I'm still trying to get all of it's garbage/legal malware off of one of my PCs...6 months later!

Keep it away from your computer if you love it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Are there any good reasons to keep AOL off the iMac?

Yes. It's pants! Speaking as a soon to be ex-AOL user, the only thing worse than AOL software is the 'support'. Constant lockup's, Indian call centre who tell you to travel 20 miles to pick up the latest software from ASDA, periods of being so s_l_o_w, Indian call centre who ask you questions that you have just answered, having to reinstall the software every month, never being able to close the welcome screen, Indian call centre you cannot understand, 'quick start' that appears every time you log on, Indian call centre who only have one answer whatever the problem ("You need to reinstall the software"), paying for Gold service and getting less than Bronze, Indian call centre who cannot understand you, restarting itself after you have closed the program, random closing down - usually when in the middle of an urgent task, Indian call centre who cannot answer any technical question about the telephone line (even though BT says that only the ISP can resolve the problem), memory hog.

BTW did I mention the Indian call centre? It's not very good.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.