When all else fails: Getting a stuck CD out of iMac g3

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had a CD stuck in my iMac g3, and it was awful, and i just thought i might post this and hopefully it may help someone out.

I tried all the methods, paperclip hole, paperclip in the side of the slot, holding the mouse button while rebooting, all that, and nothing worked. I was thinking okay, its time to replace the CD drive.

So I went to take the case off,

And i removed the 6 screws on the back/bottom, (2 by the vga port, 2 above that, 2 below)
And then i removed the bottom part of the case which exposed the speakers, headphone jack, power button, and the CD drive.
I planned on taking off the top housing part, but i didnt know what i was doing so i ended up with the bottom part off, but it had a happy ending.
With the CD drive exposed, i thought, hmm, maybe i can get it out with the cover off,
So i plugged my iMac in and turned it on and took my paperclip and hit the eject hole, then i saw the CD pop up, but not out.
I grabbed a tiny pair of needle-nose pliers, and slid them a little bit into the cd drive and grabbed the cd and yanked,
A loud horrendous cracking noise later i thought, oh great, the drive is done for, but then i tried a CD in the drive and it worked!
I was greatly relieved.
All was well in Mac land again.
I replaced the bottom and everything was back to normal,
So if you have this problem, try this before buying a new CD drive,
Im happy i did.

But be careful once you take the bottom off to not put and sort of pressure on the headphone jack and speakers.

Happy retrieving!

Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
good to hear that everything is back to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st mac: iMac G4 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD. 2nd mac: iMac G3 (OS X Tiger) 20 GB HD 128 MB RAM
i have a g3 running OS 9 and if it ever gets stuck i just go to Apple CD player and press eject. Works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Ooh, I've had that happen on my MB. Gently shaking out the disk helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.