New to machintosh , few questions (sorry if they are dumb)

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So my father got me this iBook G4 for my studies.It is actually a notebook that was used in his company but the guy who operated it left, so he got it for me ( I was searching for a decent notebook anyways).
To be honest, it is the first time I have seen Mac OS X or even a Macintosh but after I read the manual I got used to it for less than a day. To put it simple I just love it so far. The only problem is that it is a bit old. It seems it is from the late models of iBook G4 , since it has 512 MB built-in RAM and 1,33 GHz processor with 32 MB aTI Radeon 9550 video card. But still the gamer I am I would prefer some things to be changed on the hardware.
I read on this topic quite a bit. It seems that it is pretty hard to change anything on the iBook. Only thing that seems easy to do, is to put 1GB memory more which will be done this week. But still I am a person who would take risks. So opening up the notebook won't scare me. What bothers me though is if what I want to do is even possible. I mean it would be quite stupid to rush to open my elegant G4 without looking through the subject.
Having that said I have the following questions. First would it be possible to change my video card. I really would like to put a 64 MB one. I am really impressed that I can play Warcraft 3 on medium without even lagging with a 32 MB card, but I was hopping for a bit more. I mean I want to play newer games. My second question is, if by any chance can change my CD-ROM. It is just that I find it really annoying, not being able to burn DVDs. I happen to burn stuff very often, and usually it is stuff that is few gigs, and requires a DVD for that. And lastly if it is possible to do both, what are the chances that I won't be seeing my iBook whole again ?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Someone else with more experience fiddling with the innards of Macs should come in to fill out my answers. For my part, I wouldn't try replacing the optical drive. I'm not even sure whether or not the iBook would be able to support a DVD burner or Superdrive, but again, I'm not the most knowledgable about this.

What I will definitely say is that while a 64 MB video card would be an improvement over what you've got, it still wouldn't be much of a difference in terms of playing newer games. Modern games typically require 128-256 MB graphics to play decently.

OP
K
Reaction score
First, thank you for the fast response :)
I was thinking about 128 MB card, but what worries me is the battery usage. It will probably increase quite drastically.
And one more question, does that mean it is possible to change the video card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The video card is soldiered to the logic board(motherboard) so replacement is not something you can just do. Its like that for pretty much any laptop computer, PCs also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
What StretchR said. Upgrading things like you're suggesting on a laptop is generally prohibitively difficult, or flat out impossible.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ah,I though that might be the case, but wasn't quite sure.What I mean is that on macbooks they just say integrated video card if I am not mistaking.

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh well, I guess I will stick to Football Manger and Warcraft. I guess that means I will be forced to study more hehe. In any case thanks for the help. It is my first laptop, so I am not really sure how hardware works. Not that I am familiar that much with hardware on a normal pc anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Macbooks integrated video card shares RAM with the system, the iBooks had dedicated RAM for the video card.

OP
K
Reaction score
I see. Now I can say with ease on my heart I have exactly no idea about hardware :). You were very helpful. And still it is quite amazing what I can do with this pereferences. Perhaps in a year or so I will upgrade to Macbook or Macbook PRO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have replaced the hard drive in my iBook. it was a little hard because of the amount of screws that it has. i have seen people replace the combo drive with a superdrive. that is really all that there is to upgrade on the iBook, besides RAM of course.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
If you have a 4200 speed HD replace the it with a 120G 5400 drive and max out the RAM, I think you will be surprised at the difference it makes.

Go to www.ifixit.com to find guides on how to dismantle the machine, get a decent tool kit and label every screw as you remove it so you can put them back again in the correct locations.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.