Powerful file manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
Is there any really powerful file manager for Mac?

On my old computer I've been using Far Manager for Windows, which is an advanced version of Norton Commander for those who remember DOS times, and now I'm looking for something similar for Mac.

What I really need in it:
- ability to select group of files and perform operations with them, such as mass rename (with wildcards support)
- ability to view and edit files in text mode (simple built-in text editor)
- quick terminal access from current directory
- having two panels (left and right side) for easy directory moving would be nice, but not required

Applications I've tested so far:
- muCommander - can't do mass rename, otherwise best file manager so far
- Xfolders - too basic, misses almost every feature I need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Take a look at Path Finder: http://cocoatech.com/

It has tabs like Safari or Firefox, so you can open multiple pages in one window.
Then you can also drag something from one tab, hover your mouse over another tab, and it'll bring that other tab to the front.
It also has a "Shelf" feature for moving files; the Shelf is on the top left of every window.
(Let's say you're in Folder 1. You drag files/folders into the Shelf. Then you go to Folder 2. Now drag the Shelf into folder; it acts as though you moved the selected files/folder from Folder 1 to Folder 2.)
I don't remember if it has mass rename though.

I use Renamer4Mac for that: http://www.power4mac.com/renamer/

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
Thanks a lot! Path Finder seems to be exactly what I need :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
muCommander is free and is about the best Norton Commander style file manager I have found for OS X. You can download from here.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz Core 2 Duo OS X Mavericks, MacBook Air 13" 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 Airport Extreme iPhone 5s
Is there anything that is as simple as Windows Explorer?
I only want to do basic file sorting ... and the old WE did enough for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't exactly call the Windows Explorer "simple". Minimally functional perhaps... :) But if you're looking for something to do file sorting in OS X, then you're going to need some type of file manager software. That's why I suggested using "muCommander" in the other post. It's free and works very well.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.