Which Router?

Reaction score
I need a router this summer and I have pretty much ruled the Apple Airport Extreme out due to the high cost. I have a new MacBook and I will be living with my parents for two months this summer. My parents have Verizon DSL and a Dell computer. I suppose this doesn't really matter. Anyways, which router would you recommend? The house is two stories and I would like to get reception everywhere within. Although my MB has 802.11n, I don't suppose getting an "n" router would be necessary, right? I came across this list here but can't really narrow it down. Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
My MB has 802.11n but I use a D-Link router that only has 802.11g and it works fine. What "n" does based on the info from one of the threads is that it has further distance coverage. If the price is not that much, get the "n" router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
'n' is also capable of much faster speeds, up to 248Mb/s, compared to 54Mb/s in the 'g' standard.

See the Wireless Networking FAQ for answers to this question and many others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.