Password Protect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 & 30GB iPod Video
Is there anyway to password protect folders on my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The best option is to create sparse disk images via disk utility that can be not only be passsword protected, but encrypted. They will need to be mounted to access data. Using a sparse image will allow the image file size to remain small with the potential to grow to the given size. Saving your HD capacity. I suggest creating a sparse image the size of a data DVD. That way you can archive the data when the image reaches capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The best option is not to allow your user account to be used by people you don't trust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
i dont believe there is any way to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Aye, if there is fear of stolen laptops, technologist is right in bringing up Filevault. What a neat feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FileVault is certainly an overkill. Especially if you simply want to move data arond that is secure.

I'm not trying to sabotage your response, I'm just giving examples of using different features to accomplish tasks.

Keep in mind the original question, and why you should reply in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind the original question, and why you should reply in the first place.

Indeed. The original question was,

Is there anyway to password protect folders on my computer?
The best way to password-protect files on a computer is to use the operating system's permissions architecture.

For more robust password-protection, layer encryption on top of that architecture. (FileVault.)

On the other hand, if he had asked, "How can I protect files on an external disk?" or "How can I protect files on a public server?" then the answer would be, "Use an encrypted image." But that wasn't the question, and encrypted images are not ideal for this application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately FileVault encrypts the entire home directory. IMO there is no need if you just want to keep prying eyes out of, say an employee evaluation directory. Even though you are sharing out other files in your home directory.

Relax,...

I'll agree to disagree,...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately FileVault encrypts the entire home directory. IMO there is no need if you just want to keep prying eyes out of, say an employee evaluation directory. Even though you are sharing out other files in your home directory.

Relax,...

I'll agree to disagree,...

The day I relax about security practices is the day I get fired. (Okay, probably not the same day...we'd have to get audited first, and that takes months. :) )

Things like sharing a user account (or a home directory) are horrific security practices. It's setting yourself up for trouble--all it takes is one personal file/email/IM log that doesn't get carefully encrypted to embarrass you (or a friend who trusted you to keep their secret.)

Lock your account. Put public things in your Shared folder. Use FileVault if your computer could be lost or stolen. It's actually easier Than creating and constantly mounting/unmounting an encrypted image, and it protects your data better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Likewise,...security is a large portion of my job as well. These are things I understand also. People that don't know the answer to the questions asked on this forum most likely don't. It's why they ask.

Rather than explain OS X permissions, how to use apps like SharePoints or OS X best practices, I realize some folks just want an answer on how to do what they want. Some don't have internal (or external) IT folks to tighten the screws for them. Some are the internal IT that need quick and dirty solutions for thier "pain". That's all.

I suggest we open other communication lines, as I believe this is against forum rules. The last word is all yours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.