Shutdown Or Not Shutdown?

T

Topazworm

As i search through these forums i notice lots of people talk about not shutting down their computer, some putting it to sleep instead, in some cases for months. Wonder if someone could explain that. Is MAC OS really that realibale it can be left on for days at a time?? my winxp comp needs a monthly reformat and if i dont shut it down within a day or 2 it cocks up.
All these answers will decide if i really am going to buy a mac!! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Topazworm said:
As i search through these forums i notice lots of people talk about not shutting down their computer, some putting it to sleep instead, in some cases for months. Wonder if someone could explain that. Is MAC OS really that realibale it can be left on for days at a time?? my winxp comp needs a monthly reformat and if i dont shut it down within a day or 2 it cocks up.
All these answers will decide if i really am going to buy a mac!! :rolleyes:

I have never shutdown any of the Macs I have had, I just put them to sleep. I have never had any problems with any Mac doing this. Just one more reason why Macs are truly the better machine if you ask me.

OP
M

meanopause

what about a powerbook...do most of you shut down after you use??? or just put her to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
meanopause said:
what about a powerbook...do most of you shut down after you use??? or just put her to sleep.
Sleep is fine for the day, for overnight I'd say shutdown if you don't have power connected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I put my iBook to sleep, or leave it on downloading during the night

As far as I have seen, it looks like 6 months uptime on OS X would still be stable

I would have 21 days uptime if it wasn't for the restart for software update :D

OP
T

TylerMoney

I try to keep mine (powerbook) on for as long a time as possible....hardly ever turn it off anymore....just sleep it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I only shut my Powerbook down when a system update requires a reboot. I have been as many as 60 days up with no problems.

OS X is just that stable. None of my Windows machines come close.

Jerry

OP
M

meanopause

sounds good

i'll just put it to sleep now. i was getting tired of waiting for it to boot up anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I almost never shut my Macs down. I put them to sleep.

My current "uptime" is 12 days, 5 hours. Previous two were both well over 35 days. Each time, it was a OS update that required me to restart. (Most recently, Security Update 2004-05-03.)

Your actual mileage may vary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I have two Windows machines and they both need rebooting at least twice a week. My Powerbook on the other hand only gets rebooted or shutdown when I install system updates. Otherwise, it just runs and runs. Contrary to what witeshark said, you can leave Powerbooks in sleep mode for days, even a week, without plugging them in. Sleep mode uses extremely little power.

The simple answer is yes, OS X is that stable. :)

OP
S

sirlan

My iBook has been on since sometime last week. Sometimes I'll shut it down but it just doesn't seem to be a big priority now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I shut Ian down at night because my dorm doesn't have a back-up generator, and I don't want anything to happen to it while I'm asleep.

Also, if I don't turn Ian off, I'll be online all night. :eek: :D

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
My PowerBook doesn't like hard drives too much (it ruins every hard drive thrown into it...) so to make my hard drive last longer I shut it down at night. I used to leave it on all the time, but then my hard drive issues came up...
I wish I could afford a new Mac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.