Parallels/Vista licensing issue questions.

Reaction score
Hi, I got an extra copy of Windows Business Edition and I want to pop it into my new mac once I get it. But I was reading this article about the Vista EULA and virtualization.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/01/virtualvista/index.php

It says Only Ultimate and Enterprise editions can only be used with VM software like Parallels.

Considering the Apple website doesn't mention this when they talk about using windows and parallels I'm assuming this restriction was changed by Microsoft?

My second question is whether I can install one copy of Vista for Bootcamp in a windows partition and the other in parallels for the mac partition. Would that violate the EULA as well since you are activating the same copy of windows twice on different partitions?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
one INSTALL is the "rule".

your only allowed to really activate it one at a time. having a disk image, and a bootcamp partition would be "illegal". if its in M$ EULA that there are no parallels images allowed for those other version, you are breaking it anyways it sounds

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yet another example of MS's further greediness. There is no other reason for this exclusion from MS except to extort money from it's users. And another example of those who would dictate how the product you have purchased may be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't care what their EULA says, if you only have one copy, and it's only on one computer, how does the means by which you access it matter? Would BS really hold water in court?

From the sound of it, it seems like the intent of MS in this part of the EULA is that they just don't want to be required to offer support for those versions under VM; rather than a marketing move to sell higher versions.

OP
T
Reaction score
Bah, I'll just install Vista business edition on boot camp, and put in XP in parallels. I think XP has not virtualization rule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is you have to waste valuable disk space for 3 OS's! I know illegal activity isn't supposed to be said here. Honestly, do you live next door to Bill Gates or something?

OP
T
Reaction score
I know illegal activity isn't supposed to be said here. Honestly, do you live next door to Bill Gates or something?

lol no my university's Computer Science Program has a deal with Microsoft where students get free copies of Microsoft software like Windows,Visual Studio, Sql Server, Microsoft Office programs etc.

But you can only download them once.

My Pcs already have windows vista and XP that I bought, so I have yet to use the free copies of Vista and XP that my school lets me download and burn into an ISO for free. I think with my new macbook pro coming, I've already downloaded and burned them onto Cds and DVDs.

I think the school program is called the MSDN Academic Alliance. If you are a student you can check if your school department offers you an account as well.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/default.aspx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My school does. They have the Business addition, but I'm waiting for them to get the Ultimate edition because I want Media Center included.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.