US MacBook - UK Wifi connection problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.4.9, Feb 07
Hi.

I've been using my (US bought - Feb 07) MacBook with Wifi all the time with no problem in the US.

I've just got back to the UK, and had problems connecting with 2 of the 3 wifi networks I've tried. One was GNER the other is my friend's.

He works in IT and is mystified. It knows there is a network and the name of it, but no bars appear in the "signal strength" indicator at the top of the page. Furthermore when you select the network, it can't join it and gives the an error message.

We've checked security (there is none on network) so it's all very strange. Other people's computers work fine with the (Belkin) wifi here, as does his.

I'm hoping there are no generic issues with using a US Mac in the UK and Europe?

Any help is much appreciated (I'm not techie).

Thanks, Si

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RE the above

Further to the above, it's a Belkin 54g router in my friend's house, and I think there might apparently be a firmware problem with the latest Apple Airport cards. I'm just reading the Apple site forums now...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And again (being distracted as I write): their other Macs do work on this wifi. Including a G4 I-Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I have a US refurb MacBook and I use it wirelessly all the time, so I don't think it's a US-UK issue. I'd investigate the router.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not resolved, just went away

In the unlikely event anyone's interested - this was never solved, but I did find info to suggest it's a Belkin Router-specific issue. Something to do with the number of bits.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.