fan controllers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
will fan controllers like icyclone mess up my macbook?

I figured apple must know what they're doing and have setup the macbook's fans to the optimum and best for the unit. But, at times the macbook gets really hot (on just one side by the way, left side as you're facing it) and I want to try icyclone and increase the rpm to cool it off a bit. I'm afraid that this might interfere with the macbooks own "self-preservation" programming.

does anyone have experience and advice on this?

thanks all =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Personally, I would just make sure your SMC firmware is up-to-date, and let the MacBook cool itself how it sees fit.

When you start manually setting fan speeds, you bypass the Logic Board's own management, and you risk leaving the fans set on high for long periods of time, which could in time burn out their bearings.

The only time I would ever manually adjust fan speed is if I were playing a gfx intensive game, and I knew the CPU and GPU would heat up quickly.

On a side note, you may be able to write an Applescript to run iCyclone, set fan speed higher, then run an application you think would normally cause the MacBook to heat up a bit. Then run another Applescript to give fan control back to the MacBook and close said program...but that's getting a little technical. =)

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah yes that was complicated... =) so basically i just have to make sure that if i do use icyclone I can set the rpm back to default like nothing happened...

won't just quitting the icyclone prgram do that?

(^_^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use icyclone on my imac - intel

i am careful that i only put it on when its hot. i only put them on full and only when its 50-60 *c.

i dont use it to keep the imac quiet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
smcFanControl does this, and everytime you shutdown your PC, it will go back to default. It's a decent app, I use it sometimes - when my MB is on my lap.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i like that the fan speed goes to default when shut down with the smcfancontrol, simple. I think I'll try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Yeah, actually THE reason I'm using it

Although at times, I don't care if it's pretty warm/hot if I'm on a desk, I can't stand fan noise, on any machine. But if it's on my lap, then I'll cope with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.