airport extreme or netgear?

Reaction score
I've had a wireless N gigabit netgear router and it has been working fine, until my dad brought his xp laptop home and connected to it. Now the wireless signal got messed up. I spent hours restarting the router and then it worked again, but the wireless went away again. Now my macbook won't even connect to it anymore. I have heard this dropping of the wireless is a common complaint on a Netgear. My SSID is still broadcasting according to the router's firmware, but my macbook and his laptop can't even locate it anymore. So with that plus the woes of connection dropping would you reccomend a Airport Extreme Base Station? i can easily return the Netgear and throw in $60 exra for an apple airport extreme router.

Also, If I do get the AEBS, will it let me hook up another wired router to it so I can add more than 3 wired connections?

thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've had a wireless N gigabit netgear router and it has been working fine, until my dad brought his xp laptop home and connected to it. Now the wireless signal got messed up. I spent hours restarting the router and then it worked again, but the wireless went away again. Now my macbook won't even connect to it anymore. I have heard this dropping of the wireless is a common complaint on a Netgear. My SSID is still broadcasting according to the router's firmware, but my macbook and his laptop can't even locate it anymore. So with that plus the woes of connection dropping would you reccomend a Airport Extreme Base Station? i can easily return the Netgear and throw in $60 exra for an apple airport extreme router.

Also, If I do get the AEBS, will it let me hook up another wired router to it so I can add more than 3 wired connections?

thanks in advance

Buying an AirPort Extreme is unnecessary, the Netgear is a perfectly capable product. Check out the Wireless Networking FAQ for troubleshooting tips and information. I'd recommend you first try upgrading the firmware.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I fixed the problem before you responded. I ended up returning the netgear after reading about all the horror stories of the wireless being dropped daily. I ended up paying $30 for the wireless extreme... Why didn't I shell out the $179 in the first place for it? lol

It works like a charm.
My dad's windows laptop couldn't connect to it, so i hooked up our old linksys wireless G router off of the airport extreme and it worked fine.

Apple has once again made a great product

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Congrats! You'll love it! I have a AirPort express and it's amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.