Synch Speed - 5 minutes per song ????

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me roughly what the synch speed should be between an apple TV and my macbook pro - i just started to synch and it't taking approx 5 mins to synch 1 song !!!! - is that right? At this rate it will take days to synch my music library and i guess i can forget TV shows and movies.

any advice out there ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
do you have an N router? how far are you from the router and how far is the appletv from the router?

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks. no - Buffalo 'G' - although i have a new Linksys 'N' sitting available (waiting to be switched over) - should i swap then ?

Both devices are aprox 20 feet from the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
even on a G it should be faster than that, much faster. otherwise the entire setup idea would be pointless! (i am waiting for my appleTV to get here so this concerns me a bit!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
you could try swapping to the N router, as they are much much much much faster.

OP
H
Reaction score
well i plan to swap over to the N (linksys) router this weekend so will report back on any improvement in speed. With the as it's setup at the moment it synching is basically un-usable. It synchs, just very very slowly.

If the N still does not sort it i will try hard wiring one or the other to see if that sorts t.

Reaction score
Unless you have the new MPB that is 802.11n wireless, hooking up your N router will only go as fast as your MPB that has the 802.11g. But it should not take 5min to sync 1 song.

OP
H
Reaction score
unfortunately i am just at the point at throwing this pile of garbage out of the window.

It takkes ~5 hrs to synch a tv show and 5 mins to synch a song...and now it won't synch at all!!!!!

The only answer is to 'reset' the apple TV which means i lose everything that has been synch'd in the past and i'm back to square 1.

Apple TV is a great concept very poorly implemented. I never thought i would say this but this is a CRAP product.

So buggy it is untrue - i urge everyone to refrain from considering a purchase until Apple bring out a serious software update.

i suspect they rushed to market to get the kudos. I just hope the same will not be true for the iPhone.....

OP
H
Reaction score
Take it ALL back - it's my wireless network. Too many walls. i guess for normal surfing you do not notice that you are running at a relatively low speed but when synching mass data from 1 device to another it REALLY has an impact. Wired both devices and songs synch at 1 song per second!!

Sorry for doubting you Apple....

Reaction score
Just PM'd you!.

It's probably your networking set-up and not ATV. I had similar problems at first but when I simplified my network set-up...everything worked smoothly.

I had to put all my itunes media on my desktop which is connected directly to my wireless router via ethernet cable.

When I was using my powerbook with ATV, synching was slow because the media went from the powerbook to wireless router (upstairs) to ATV (downstairs).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Sorry to jump onto this thread but I am having similar problems.

I have a wireless 802.11G router (it's a BT Home Hub - which I think is made by Thompson) and a 160GB Apple TV my music is ripped to Apple Lossless format and it is taking between 5-10 minutes to Sync a song. I have ordered an Airport Extreme but my order with Apple will take 4-6 weeks.

I turned off all my network security and still got the same issue.

Streaming also wont work very well, it takes about 1 minute to start a song / podcast and then every few seconds the playback stops for about 30 seconds before it restarts.

Could I just sync the bulk of my library via a Ethernet cable and after that sync the stuff I download and rip via wireless connections (that way the bulk of my 100GB library is on there)? I have seen this link saying it's possible http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305254 but it does not say if I can sync the new stuff I add to my library via wireless (I am also not sure which cable to get either)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i was going to tell you that it is your network settings but i guess you figured that out
-chris

Reaction score
I just picked up the 160gb Apple TV using wireless N the average is about 2 seconds per song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive noticed this...

if my laptop is wifi'ed to the router, and the appleTV is wifi'ed to the router, things go incredibly slow. its just the router has a hard time transmitting and recieving at the same time. it does about 800KB/s just file transfering.

if you all can, id try to create a Personal network on the MAC, and then hook into it on the ATV. this may speed it up quite a bit/!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.