Underlocking?

Reaction score
I know this is an odd idea, but i'm looking for some way to underclock the CPU or GPU in the new MBP's. The reason is heat mostly, for when i'm in a situation of using it on my lap. Don't want to risk well... bad things happening ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You might be able to turn your power saving specs WAY down to "best battery life" or whatever it's called...this may have some effect on the CPU, I'm not sure. I haven't come across any CPU clock modification programs, but then again, I haven't really checked or looked for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
One way to save heat, I find, is turning off a core. Install CHUD tools in the developer, and then under the Processor thing in system preferences, you can turn off cores.

:) iRye

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
One way to save heat, I find, is turning off a core. Install CHUD tools in the developer, and then under the Processor thing in system preferences, you can turn off cores.

:) iRye

In the developer? You talking to a total Mac newb (even engadget said so)... gonna have to clarify.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The developer tools are on your Mac OS X install discs that came with your computer. There is a folder on the 1st DVD called Developer, and you can install any of the tools from there.

iRye:
Thanks for that tidbit! I had no idea this was possible, and it will come in great handy while on an airplane watching DVDs...don't need 2 cores for that. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Thanks for the further explanation. I've been using them for a while, and didn't look at your post count, or didn't know the fact that you're a newbie!

My apologies!

OP
Nicholi
Reaction score
Thanks for the further explanation. I've been using them for a while, and didn't look at your post count, or didn't know the fact that you're a newbie!

My apologies!

Not your fault mate, mine. I'm just now hopping full force into the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

EDIT :: Ok.. i've got CHUD installed... now what haha. Which part of CHUD actually controls cores and how do I turn one off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.