Is it bad if i NEVER turn off my computer??

Reaction score
I only put it to sleep at night but during the day i leave it on
the only thing is i make sure to dim the screen so its completely black if i know im going to be away for a while...

is this bad for my computer??

what is the best way to set my energy settings? why is there a setting for power and then a setting for battery isnt that the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The only time my iBook was ever turned off was for a system update, same with my iMac. Its not gonna kill it to be on all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think the first time I actually shut my Macbook down was about 2 or 3 months after I bought it. Since then, I've probably done it one more time. So in the past 6 months, I've only shut down my Macbook twice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All of my computers run 24/7. Including my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Great, Thread. As I was wondering the same thing.

But honestly with my MacBook it doesn't really matter because it turns on so fast it doesn't matter if I turn it off or not. Nonetheless the thought crossed my mind.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I was under the impression that Macs are/were designed to be turned on all the time, unless you are going to be away from them for a period of more than 2-3 days. I believe it is even stated in a user manual or system introduction somewhere that Apple recommends using sleep for any period of downtime less than 2-3 days.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I thought they should be rebooted once every 13days. There is a reason for this but I can remember it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I thought they should be rebooted once every 13days. There is a reason for this but I can remember it.

and you should never feed them after midnight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Windows XP had a bug that made it crash every 13 days, perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

I have a Mac Mini server that hasn't been rebooted in over a year, and it runs with no problems. My MacBook Pro only get shut down for upgrades, that's it. There's really no reason to turn off your Macs. Sleep mode is just fine and uses almost no power.

Reaction score
It never hurts to turn off your computer once in a while to get rid of the contents in your ram and start a fresh when you turn it back on again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Leaving the computers on allows the periodic (daily/weekly/monthly) cleanup scripts to run. So it actually better to keep the machine on all the time.
But if you're not going to use it for days... you might as well give it a rest.

Reaction score
When you guys mean "turn off", do you mean actually shut down or sleep? I shut it down overnight but it can go in and out of sleep maybe 4-5 times a day. Is that okay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
When you guys mean "turn off", do you mean actually shut down or sleep? I shut it down overnight but it can go in and out of sleep maybe 4-5 times a day. Is that okay?

I'm assuming that everyone means a literal shut down when they say "turn off". I'd say that going in and out of sleep throughout the day is alright. And regarding shutting down: I think the last time I did a complete shutdown of my MBP was in the middle of March, when I was away from it for about a week. It's been on continuously since then, and I've had no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Mine never shuts down... not even when i cart it back and forth to work, I just shut the lid and shove it my case. I'll reboot for software updates but I never shut mine down.

As for the original posters second questions.... the battery settings are for running off your battery to save the battery from dying quicker.. power options are used for when you're mac is plugged into an outlet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
shut down everynight, then turn on in the morning and sleep sometimes throughout the day. Although after reading some of these comments I think I will start to leave it on for tonight but, in sleep and carry this out for about two or three days and shut down every 3 or 4 days instead of everynight...

thanks for the infor... wasn't sure myself..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I was under the impression that Macs are/were designed to be turned on all the time, unless you are going to be away from them for a period of more than 2-3 days. I believe it is even stated in a user manual or system introduction somewhere that Apple recommends using sleep for any period of downtime less than 2-3 days.

I think we have a new tagline for Apple here...

Apple
Designed for nerds.

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.