How much space does a MAC OSX user use?

M

MacHeadCase

If the Hummer is needed only on a few occasions, rent it! Don't buy it for every day use!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
No, Mac = KITT

Knightlogo.jpg

XD XD

If the Hummer is needed only on a few occasions, rent it! Don't buy it for every day use!

Pshaw! You can't rent a Mac!

...well, maybe you can, but um... SHHH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Well my copy of Corel Painter luckily is a PC/MAC hybrid. So I don't have to buy a mac version of that.

I wonder if installing it on both my windows and mac partitions will violate the license that I can only install one copy of the program on one device at a time? I hope they don't count the windows and mac partitions as 2 devices.

Interesting question....I wonder. Surely one machine = one device.

M

MacHeadCase

[Off topic!]

You told me you never do one....:eek:

Oh crap! The secret's out! :Shouting:

LOL :D

remain, I did say Mac does not equal Hummer otherwise I would have left the Mac Village a long time ago! ;)

[Back on topic!]

I have no idea Stranger. Check the EULA. Must be written in there somewhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Well my copy of Corel Painter luckily is a PC/MAC hybrid. So I don't have to buy a mac version of that.

I wonder if installing it on both my windows and mac partitions will violate the license that I can only install one copy of the program on one device at a time? I hope they don't count the windows and mac partitions as 2 devices.

If you decide to buy the mac, let me know if it works :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Thread drift alert: TheStranger55, do you think that Silverlight is going to live up to the hype? I do some web/multimedia design and I have been keeping tabs on it since the announcement. I've downloaded the Betas but haven't had time to dedicate to them yet.

I will say that I also looked at Expression apps, and I wasn't really too impressed.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you decide to buy the mac, let me know if it works :)

Well I already ordered it from the apple store, so it's already been decided and I can't even refund it as Apple Canada has a "Final Sales" policy.

Thread drift alert: TheStranger55, do you think that Silverlight is going to live up to the hype? I do some web/multimedia design and I have been keeping tabs on it since the announcement. I've downloaded the Betas but haven't had time to dedicate to them yet.

I think for now Flash has the upperhand. The design tools like Photoshop and Illustrator are way more superior than what Microsoft offers to design silverlight content based on my experience with the Expression Blend trial.

But for the programmer, Silverlight 1.1 has ties to the .NET CLR so you can use a lot of existing .NET libraries that Actionscript doesn't have.

But Silverlight is still missing a lot of features that I can't do without in .NET programming like Databinding which Flex can do and it has a datagrid too.

So I don't see Silverlight taking the Flash crown for a very long time, if ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Well I already ordered it from the apple store, so it's already been decided and I can't even refund it as Apple Canada has a "Final Sales" policy.

That was fast! Anyway, Congrats i guess?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I think for now Flash has the upperhand. The design tools like Photoshop and Illustrator are way more superior than what Microsoft offers to design silverlight content based on my experience with the Expression Blend trial.

But for the programmer, Silverlight 1.1 has ties to the .NET CLR so you can use a lot of existing .NET libraries that Actionscript doesn't have.

But Silverlight is still missing a lot of features that I can't do without in .NET programming like Databinding which Flex can do and it has a datagrid too.

So I don't see Silverlight taking the Flash crown for a very long time, if ever.

I can see how Silverlight having "hooks" for .NET could be a big help.

It will be interesting to see how the Expression suite improves over time.

/thread drift ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't have anything better to do, so I might as well add my two cents.

As to your original question - See Brown Study's answer above.

I almost made the first reply to this thread as my first thought was the same. If you are getting it to run windows, just get a windows machine. Particularly, since you will have no support from any software manufacturers while using it under Boot Camp or Parallels.

But then, as I reflected on my own decision to get a Mac, and got some more feedback as to why - realized that my own road to the Mac was similar. Have to say, that although I was interested in OS X and had no immediate intention of installing XP on my new MBP, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have looked at them without the knowledge of being able to put XP on here in case OS X turned out to be like all the Linux's I had tried. The single most important aspect of my purchasing decision boiled down to $$$. For me, it was a $750 difference between the MBP and a similarly equipped Dell XPS. For TheStranger55 it's $200 plus a free iPod. That sounds like pretty good economic sense.

Apple is marketing hard to the college age students. And I think it makes a lot of business sense. Right now, across the board, I haven't found another manufacturer that will use the same processor Apple is putting in their machines and match Apple's price.

There are a few of us pretty hardcore hardware/windows guys that were actually looking for a change of OS, right here in the forum. We've seen several questions lately by those not really looking to make an OS switch, but are looking at Apple hardware. If Apple continues their current marketing strategy, there will be a lot more of this type of switcher to be seen. For those that give OS X a good shot, I think there will end up being quite a few switchers out of this new crop of lookers.

The other advantage of having possibly a few that primarily use windows through either Boot Camp or Parallels, we could end up having some very good help on the forum for the part time users of these two apps.

edit: watching TV while thinking and typing - think there are an extra 30 posts or so on this thread since I started on this post. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

Well an answer to your question:

I can't speak for the average mac user, but for me I have a XP and an OS X partition on my hard drive.

On my XP parition, I made it around 20 GB. And for me that seems to be fine. I use around 10GB of that currently. I think you know that only if the partition is FAT 32, can OS X fully interact with it. And file sharing between the drives work properly. And the max size for a partition of this type is 32 GB. But if you use the other partition type. I forget what it's called. But you can then make it as big as you want. But then I think you can't transfer the files between that and the OS X drive ro something. I'm going off memory here. Someone should be able to help you out.

And on my OS X partition is the rest of my hard drive - 128 GB. And with games, apps, 12 GB musiv videos and 13 GB of music, I only use up a total of around 60 GB.

So my opinion is cause you want to program for OS X and XP, is to use the FAT 32 system for your XP partition, max it out at 32 GB. And try to use OS X for all your non work needs (music, games etc) if you can.

And yeah it doesn't matter to me of someone wants their imac primarily as a XP machine. The imac option is cheaper as you stated and witht he free ipod and OS X there if you ever need it, I say go for it.

Reaction score
This prompted me to search for Apple Canada's returns policy. It seems to apply only here. But I don't understand what the "Community Connection Parent Store" is, and why this policy applies to only two school boards across the entire country.
Eligibility
Eligible purchasers include parents and legal guardians of students who attend school in the following school boards:

* Eastern Townships School Board, Quebec
* Peace River North #60, British Columbia

<snip>

Return Policy
Please note that Apple only permits the return of unopened products due to an Apple shipping or order processing error and that all other sales are final.
Even then, there's an "I Don't Agree" button, and under it this:
I don’t agree and would like to return to the Apple Education site.
That aside, this page is titled Terms and Conditions Canada Consumer Store, and includes the return policy, DOA products and custom-configured products. The agreement for custom-configured products states:
Custom Configured Product

We are pleased to offer product custom configured to your specifications*, and encourage you to review your order carefully. Since the product is built to your specifications the order cannot be modified, returned or cancelled once your order is in production.
But this isn't unique to Canada. I think it's world-wide.

OP
T
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.