Start Up Issue; Gray Screen with ? on folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro
I am new to a Mac Pro also and I purchased a used Mac Pro (fully loaded) from a 3rd party. It works great, but when I power it up in the Gray screen mode, it seems to take a while and occasionally I receive a ? mark with a folder symbol blinking. I turn the computer off and it usually boots up fine. Occasionally I have to do this process twice.

Is this something I need to worry about? What should I do to fix. I have build Windows machines and am fairly knowledgeably, but new to the Mac environment.

Thanks,

Earl

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open up System Preferences, Startup Disk, click on the main boot drive and click Reboot. It sounds like it's looking for some other drive that was once used to boot the system.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, EarlsMac.

The question mark at startup means the system has a hard time finding a viable OS to boot from.

Doh! dtravis beat me to it... I'll get you for this one day, pardner! :p

LOL Kiddin' :D

dtravis, the fastest keyboard in the East/West/world. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If that doesn't work, try a PRAM reset. I've seen this delay occur after removing a Bootcamp partition. You can reset the PRAM by pressing and holding Command-Option-P-R immediately after powering the system on. Wait for the system chime to occur three times before releasing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MHC :D

Agreed with CWA. Try them both. One should solve it. My Intel Mini did that when I took out the bootcamp partition. In my case just the startup disk solved it. Seen the PRAM do it also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not a Hardware issue. Moved to Software OS forum.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro
Thanks for the help. I will give both a try

Earl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.