Potential Switcher's Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Hi All!

I'm heavily leaning toward purchasing all Macs for my company early next year, and anticipate a smooth transition for everybody. However, my role involves a great deal of programming - web programming as well as Windows application programming.

Generally I live and die in Visual Studio and use it, coupled with SQL Server, IIS, and the Adobe CS line, to design and develop my programs and websites.

I know Adobe CS works fine natively in OSX - but I'm wondering about the other tools. I understand Parallels provides decent virtualization, but I figured I'd get the inside scoop from folks involved in the same kinds of work as I am.

Can Parallels handle my development needs? Should I use Boot Camp? Are there tools that run natively in OSX that I should consider?

Any and all advice, ideas, suggestions, or booklists would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JDS

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps if I rephrased the question it might garner more useful responses...

What are your favorite tools for developing beautiful dynamic websites?

Thanks in advance,

JDS

Reaction score
My favourite tools for dynamic websites are... well, Coda, which is a killer editor for text-based freaks (like me).

If you're doing heavy Windows application development, I'd suggest you have a testing machine handy, and I'd also suggest using Boot Camp over Parallels, as it is not only Virtualization, but the real thing.

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also spend a great deal of time hand coding in text editors (Notepad, Metapad, LedLineIt, etc)... So I understand what you mean about being a text-based freak :)

When I say "dynamic" however, in reference to websites, I meant dynamic content - not just DHTML. What are your favs for building databases, serving active pages, etc. Is it just Apache/PHP/MySQL?

Reaction score
I personally stick to PHP and MySQL. Funnily enough, back in the day (I was 13) when I learnt that stuff, I chose it because it was text-based in the first place. So I'm sorry I can't help you much.

EDIT: Sorry, Cold Fusion has no Mac version.

I remember hearing of ColdFusion from Adobe, that should have a Mac version.
http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hi All!

I'm heavily leaning toward purchasing all Macs for my company early next year, and anticipate a smooth transition for everybody. However, my role involves a great deal of programming - web programming as well as Windows application programming.

Generally I live and die in Visual Studio and use it, coupled with SQL Server, IIS, and the Adobe CS line, to design and develop my programs and websites.

I know Adobe CS works fine natively in OSX - but I'm wondering about the other tools. I understand Parallels provides decent virtualization, but I figured I'd get the inside scoop from folks involved in the same kinds of work as I am.

Can Parallels handle my development needs? Should I use Boot Camp? Are there tools that run natively in OSX that I should consider?

Any and all advice, ideas, suggestions, or booklists would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JDS

Parallels is decent - though dependent on a few things:

1) You're not running to may RAM-hungry apps in both environments (common sense)

2) You have maxed out the RAM on your Apple product

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.