Lacie Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel CD 2GHz, 2G, 120G (White)
Hi.. ive just been given a 200 gig Lacie harddrive.. the thing is i cant do anything with it!
im guessing my new macbook cant swap or backup files when its NTFS?
so how can i fix this? i would like to use it to back files from my mac, but also swap files with my friends PC. is this possible?
Thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Macs can read NTFS drives but not write to them. You have a few options:

1) Reformat the Drive to FAT-32 on the Mac to maintain Windows compatibility. This will require you to backup the drive itself.

2) There is a 3rd party App that will allow a Mac to work with an NTFS drive. It may be MacFuse, but I am not sure.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the quick reply. if i format it to fat32 will there be a limit on the file size i can store? like i have some files like dvd backups etc. also can i format the drive using OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
FAT32 has a 4GB limit on file sizes. I can't remember the name offhand, but I there's a Linux format that will defeat the 4GB limit, while still being compatible with Windows (and presumably with OSX). It's on my partners' backup Lacie drive.

Edit:
Чёрт... I can't find the exact name. I think it was like EXT2 or some such. It should be available as one of the formatting options when you log into the the drive's web interface (assuming it's an ethernet disk). If it's not, I'd look for a special formatting utility online.

Hopefully somebody else here can chime in and build off my - clearly lacking - advice. Good luck!

JDS

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so how about if i just wanted to use it with my mac?
whats the best way to go about formatting it? and not having to worry about file sizes.. etc.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
If you are just going to use it on your Mac, choose either Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you are planning on using it as your boot drive (which I don't think you are so just Mac OS Extended).

Just use Disk Utility and "Erase" to format it.

Hope this helps! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.