.exe on a mac... *sigh*

Reaction score
i know the problem of running .exe files on a mac is a common one and plenty of posts have been made on the subject. ive look at some of them, and i understand the two options are bootcamp and parallels, and to run them you have to have vista or xp. im not particularly eager to spend 200-300$ to run a program or two, so i was wondering if windows 98 would be applicable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can not boot camp anything but xp sp2 and vista, however, i am not sure about being able to do it through parallels. Hopefully somebody else will know.

what programs to you want to run, maybe we can give you a mac equivalent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
It MAY be possible to run under Parallels, but BootCamp will not support it.

OP
S
Reaction score
sadly no mac version of this thing exists. i have another computer that is a windows and has XP on it, is there a way to... like dl the OS onto a disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sadly no mac version of this thing exists
You would be surprised what you can find. You only need to restructure your problem solving method. ;)

Start at the end and work your way backwards when trying to figure out how to do something on a Mac (if you are used to Windows). Don't look for an exact application or similar program to what you used in Windows, but rather look for a new way to do what you want to do. You may find that you don't need any extra applications or bloatware to do what it is you are trying to accomplish.

So... What exact application are you trying to run the .exe for? What is it that this application does for you? What are you trying to accomplish on your computer?

OP
S
Reaction score
its not at all that kind of app, but if you insist :)

its called launchpad.exe (i believe), an installer for an obscure game -> http://cosmicrift.station.sony.com/main.jsp

im pretty sure there is no alternative, and ive asked an admin if there is a mac version coming out... no response yet. ive learned you can also use something called wine -> www.winehq.com but im not informed enough on computers to know how to deciper that stuff. anyone heard of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
its not at all that kind of app, but if you insist :)

its called launchpad.exe (i believe), an installer for an obscure game -> http://cosmicrift.station.sony.com/main.jsp
Well, in this case it is fairly specific, a game (the installer makes no difference). If the game isn't designed with a Mac version, then the only way to play it is through Windows. It looks to be an older game, so Parallels should be fine for this one.
If this is all you really need Windows for then it isn't worth the money, time, or trouble to install Windows on your Mac.

Reaction score
I have never seen an example of Wine on OS X but Linux will support it and you can get it for free for your Intel Mac. If you go to Ubuntu Forums and search for wine setup you will see lots of posts on how to do this. There are some nice graphical tools available. The one key to remember is to follow one method from start to finish.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I ran the .exe you linked to in Parallels (V3 with Vista) and I got as far as the bit where you create a station account and it all worked fine. The station account name I chose apparently already exists so I got no further but it looked promising.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
You should be thankful. You shouldn't be playing such games, anyway :)

No seriously, in obscure cases, especially games, you're probably "stuck" on a Mac. Hope that doesn't dilute the rest of your experience though. Today I spent all day testing out Midnight Inbox and relearnt why Macs are so frikkin awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I have never seen an example of Wine on OS X...

Sure you have...it's called DarWINE.

Get it...Darwin...DarWINE. God I love it. Makes me giggle every time.

No, I'm serious, though. Go download it.

What you may be able to do is run the game's installer on Windows, find the folder it installs everything in to, and copy the folder onto a jump drive. Then, you may be able to run the game's .exe file using DarWINE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.