Kernel, python issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
For the past week my processor has been running at 100% almost nonstop. Activity Monitor tells me that python and kernel_task are using anywhere from 39-42% (each) of the processor queue at any time. This just started happening without any major change in my habits, software, etc - is this normal? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

iMac G5 iSight
OS X 10.4.9
PowerPC 970 1.9 Ghz

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
OK, I figured out one thing - this only seems to happen when Mail is downloading a new voicemail from Vonage.

In addition, I've found that my option-cmd-j shortcut doesn't work for erasing junk mail, nor does the menu command. I have to delete each message.

So it looks as though Mail might be the problem. Is there a way to reinstall Mail, or update the installation?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"
I was just about to do that when I noticed that ALL my mail messages were all taking a little longer than usual to download and route. I remembered that I have JunkMatcher installed and that it does its business with Python. I uninstalled it, and all seems to be well now.

So if you have JunkMatcher and your processor starts to spend a lot of its time running Python, try disabling the JunkMatcher rules in Mail. If that doesn't work, uninstall JunkMatcher. No need to reinstall Mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.