• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

The Big Question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2GB DDR2 Ram
Ok, so while I'm sure something of this sort has been asked before, I'm gonna try and lay this out as simply as possible.

I'm in a band that tours a fair amount, and last time out I used the iSight to film a bunch of crap and then edited it in iMovie to make some video blogs. I got kind of a nack for it, and made some half decent looking movies all things considered.

Now here's the deal: we're touring in europe for 6 weeks, and I've been asked to make a DVD of the tour. I'm at a bit of a loss on my own, but I've been researching everything I may or may not need. My questions are as a follows:

HD camera or DV tape? Premiere or Final Cut Pro? What do I use to make a good looking DVD menu?

Basically, I know next to nothing but am willing to spend the money to get setup right (within reason) so I make this look as good as possible. This puts me at the mercy of any store clerk anywhere, so I want to try and get armed before. Can anyone help set me straight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
iDVD that comes with your Mac is great for making menus.

On the side of HD or MiniDV, that's up to you. Although HD produces beautiful results, there are a lot of MiniDV camcorders out there that look very good also. The Canon GL2 is a good one to look at.

For video editing, iMovie would be good enough if very basic is all you need. But if you want that extra boost, I'd say Final Cut Pro.

By the way, if you are going to buy a lot of expensive software, and are still in school, check out http://www.academicsuperstore.com
They provide software for students, K -12 and College, at very low prices from original.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.