Wordpress weblog: add photo/adsense non-widget?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Wordpress weblog hosted at my own website, I've been refining the features and design, and I really like it. I haven't found any other theme yet that I can edit to be as elegant but also as attractive. I like it. It is a modified version of the Sirius theme. I love writing my content, and intend to put some time into blog entries and promotion in the coming months.

My issue is, I want to add an AdSense add in the sidebar, and probably a photo as well... but this theme is not Widgetized. The sidebar is PHP. I can totally include the code if that's helpful to anyone in helping me, but I won't unless someone mentions it (don't want to bore people with it).

My question is: will it be possible to add an adsense ad, and maybe a photo? I know that sidebar Widgets allows you to do this, but I just like this design a lot now.

Tell me please: what will it take to get an adsense ad and maybe a photo in the sidebar code?

Will it be possible after I do this to rearrange the order of sidebar items by rearranging the items in the sidebar code?

Thank you in advance for any help.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
No, never even heard of it! It looks fantastic. I wonder two things: can I use it with Wordpress 2.2? I upgraded.

Can you use it to put an ad in the sidebar also?

This is a great lead though. Thank you! I don't want to give up this theme.

M

MacHeadCase

To be honest, I never used that plugin at all. But the website says it is compatible with WP 2 so you might want to try it. Just make sure you backup your blog (you should have a backup plugin within your WP installation - it would be under the Manage tab in your WP Dashboard) before changing anything.

And as for the Flickr javascript, you simply copy/paste it into your sidebar .php file.

If it's only a photo you host on the same server as your WP blog, just input the image source URL and resize the photo within the img src tag somewhere in your sidebar .php file once again.

Edited to add:

You might want to doa search in the WP forums to see if there is any problems with the plugin and WP 2.2.

Here's a list of WP 2.2 compatible plugins. As far as I can see this plugin is not in the compatible list but that doesn't mean anything: it could simply be because no one has reported it as working yet. I would search the support forum first to see if anyone is experiencing problems with it.

And if ever you want to change your theme one day, here's a list of WP 2.2 compatible themes.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
MacHeadCase, or anyone else who might know, I have been setting up and studying up on AdSense. I'm all set with Google. My question now is, AdSense deluxe is good for inserting ads within a post. Do you know if it would be possible to use it to add an ad to the sidebar? That is what I want to do. Thanks!

Edit: I figured it out! Just inserted the code in my sidebar php. Quick question though... if I want space between your sidebar items, between blogroll and the AdSense ad, for example, what is the command to insert a line break? I tried <br> but it didn't work. Maybe there is a special one for php code? Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

It depends on how your theme is constructed. Mine is pretty big on the the list, ul and div tags (<li> </li> <ul> </ul> <div> </div>) so I looked at how the sidebar .php file was already constructed and reproduced the same sequence as other items in the sidebar that were already there. The <li> and <ul> tags do add space between items. Just be careful to close tags you open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.