Line input problem, please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi,

I have just recently had a problem with my microphone input on my Macbook pro 1.8Ghz first edition (Core Duo) It's about 14 months old and has had no previous problems.

I chat a lot to my friend who moved to America, and the other night my external mic wouldn't work. So today I tried a new headset which I bought, and same thing no sound when I switch to my external input. System preferences shows nada when I try to see my volume level using an external mic. I have also tried it with audacity just to check it isn't an application priblem, and it records zero when I show it the external mic.

I just wondered if anyone had the same problem and if there is a solution. I may have to bring it to an apple store to be fixed, but I really can't be bothered as the closest one to me is quite a bit away.

Would love to hear your comments,

Mel

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Yay!

Aaarrr Technologist, ye be a star!

After I wrote the post, I went into "Surely I can figure this out" mode. I hunted and found a poopy headset I used to have, and a very old beige PC mic.

None of them did anything on the Laptop, and I couldn't be bothered to wake the dragon of a PC under my desk to check them on that so contented myself with using the built in Mic on the laptop.

So I resided to the fact that Macbook Pro's like audio inputs with plenty of juice behind them, as I was sure all the Mic's I own in this world wouldn't all just suddenly break.

My dynamic Mic ( £1 from a pound shop many moons ago ) still works, but is very quiet. Guess I just need to save up for a nice powered mic, which I was going to try and do anyway.

Thanks for the link Technologist, it is lovely to read something which confirms which you allready thought.

Mel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.