Backing up my windows install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Hey all,

I need help with backing up my windows install that I have loaded on my mac using parallels3. What folders (and where are they exactly) do I need to back up on my hdd.

From what I have heard you can just copy the folder and if you ever have a problem with windows all you nee to do is through away the bad folder and then replace it with the good one that you backed up when you first got it working right. If this is right this is what I want to do, I just need help finding the right folders that need backing up. Thanks guys.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey all,

I need help with backing up my windows install that I have loaded on my mac using parallels3. What folders (and where are they exactly) do I need to back up on my hdd.

From what I have heard you can just copy the folder and if you ever have a problem with windows all you nee to do is through away the bad folder and then replace it with the good one that you backed up when you first got it working right. If this is right this is what I want to do, I just need help finding the right folders that need backing up. Thanks guys.

You can find the path of your windows virtual hard disk file by going into the configuration of your virtual machine in Parallels and looking at the properties for the hard disk. You need only make a backup of that file. The path is typically something like this:

/Users/<username>/Library/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/winxp.hdd

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
I dont get it. My windows folder is not there. I cant find it anywhere but it is running perfectly fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.