un-erasing

Reaction score
I accidentally began a 'restore in place' on my external drive when I meant to restore my hard drive. I'm going to need unerase or recovery software. Does anyone know where I can obtain that for my system?:[

I'm using OS 9.0.1

Reaction score
If you are trying to restore, DON'T use the drive until you do so. You might overwrite the deleted files.

If you could get your hands on an old Norton utilities disk that works in OS 9 — some are too old, even for OS 9 — Norton's Unerase might recover them. You'd have to boot from the Norton CD, though, because loading it into the computer might overwrite the files, as well.

Ignore any comments about Norton being suicidal. That's only in OS X.

Reaction score
If you boot into 9 from the main drive and the lost files are on the external, you won't have to boot from the CD if you load Norton Utilities into the main drive.

That would also do an end run around the problem of restoring the files to the same drive they were on when they were deleted.

Reaction score
Your looking for Norton Utilities V 5.0 or Norton Systemworks V 6.x

OP
D
Reaction score
I didn't quite know where to post this question;

I formated a removable drive that had files on it the other day. I know that as long as I don't save any files to it now, I may be able to recover them. I'm wondering if there is a un-erase utility in System 10. If not, is there software for this? Any recommendations? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
How did you format it? If you did any of the zero in or # pass options you have no chance at getting your data back. You will need to find some data recovery software, but its very likely you aren't recovering the files

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks trpnmonkey41

A window with a message stating that the disk is unreadable on this Mac and only gave me the option of either ejecting it or formatting it. I chose to format it.There was no zero in or # pass option involved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.