Question on the trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
700 Mhz 12" iBook G3 Dual USB
I recently purchased a iBook off of eBay. It came with a fresh install of OS X Tiger without the discs. The trackpad came disabled. I would like to know how to enable it. I have already tried to use SideTrack, and all it does is tell me to restart my computer to install the drivers. I have also tried iScroll, and it says that I don't have a compatible trackpad. What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
uh oh. Tiger without the discs? Ooohhh.... Not good.

I dunno how to enable the trackpad, but without those discs, you can have a serious hardware error and can't do anything about it.

Reaction score
There is an option in the preferences, that deactivates the trackpad when you have an external mouse connected. it's not that, isn't it?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, any comp without the discs can be a major problem. It isn't the option that disables the trackpad when a mouse is connected. I don't even get a trackpad panel in Keyboard and Mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
Could it be that it has a version of Leopard for a desktop machine installed, as they don't have track pads?

Or perhaps the track pad doesn't work, and when the OS was installed, it didn't pick the hardware up.

I can only suggest either taking it to Apple or asking the seller for a refund (or resign yourself to always using an external mouse).

Other than that, I have no idea how to fix it, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
You need to update to 10.4.9, a fresh Tiger install with put one of the first releases of Tiger on if I remember correctly, and the iBook track pad isn't supported in early versions.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have updated to 10.4.9. Do I need to do a fresh install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Open the System Profiler (Apple menu > About This Mac and click the More Info button)

Look in the left hand pane under "Hardware" for "USB"
Expand all of the sub-items. Do you see the Trackpad listed there?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I recently purchased a iBook off of eBay. It came with a fresh install of OS X Tiger without the discs. The trackpad came disabled. I would like to know how to enable it. I have already tried to use SideTrack, and all it does is tell me to restart my computer to install the drivers. I have also tried iScroll, and it says that I don't have a compatible trackpad. What do I do?

If the previous owner took it apart it is very possible that they did not re-attach the trackpad connector properly.

Amen-Moses

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I reset the PRAM, checked to see if it was in the USB list. It wasn't. I'll try to see if it is unplugged.

EDIT 12:16 PM CDT
Okay. I looked at it, and from my perspective, it looks like it's broken. I found some guides on taking apart the iBook, and from the other pictures I looked at, mine seemed broken, like the connector is missing. Take a look here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I reset the PRAM, checked to see if it was in the USB list. It wasn't. I'll try to see if it is unplugged.

EDIT 12:16 PM CDT
Okay. I looked at it, and from my perspective, it looks like it's broken. I found some guides on taking apart the iBook, and from the other pictures I looked at, mine seemed broken, like the connector is missing. Take a look here

The track pad connector should be under the sheilding in bottom right hand corner of your photo.

Amen-Moses

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The keyboard is in the way. And if that orange cable isn't the connector, what is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The keyboard is in the way. And if that orange cable isn't the connector, what is it?

It probably is the cable and if there is no plug on the end then the previous owner has obviously knackered it!

The keyboard plug (the J6 in your photo) comes out pretty easily btw, just gently use a screwdriver to lift it out of the socket but don't pull on the cable.

Amen-Moses

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is probably it. I'll make sure he didn't hide it anywhere, and if it is gone, I'll just have to get a working trackpad module off of eBay. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the area to plug the trackpad in is also missing. I might just have to deal with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is probably it. I'll make sure he didn't hide it anywhere, and if it is gone, I'll just have to get a working trackpad module off of eBay.

The track pad is fixed to the upper case, you may be able to prize off the old one and glue on a new one without destroying the case but it may just be cheaper to buy a new upper case assembly!

Can you see the small grey socket under the shielding? If that has been broken off then you've got a bigger problem!

Amen-Moses

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I'm having a bit of a problem taking off the upper case assembly. I can't see the connector so I am taking the case apart. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, now that I actually had time to sit down and take this thing apart, I have found that the motherboard connector is broken. Only way to fix that is to buy a new motherboard. I may in the future, but right now I need to buy a new battery. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.