In need of some quick help with expose.

Reaction score
The keys to control the keyboard backlight on my PowerBook G4 are F9 and F10. To use the expose features that use those keys I have to hold the function key. Is there some way to disable the backlight keys so I can just press F9 or F10 for the expose features instead of holding function with it?

M

MacHeadCase

Did you try setting these up in your System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts? Although I have an iMac I think you ought to be able to find the solution in there. Unless you run Panther (Mac OS X 10.3.x) and the settings aren't the same?...

OP
M
Reaction score
I run 10.4.8, and I found the settings you're talking about, but the F9 - F12 boxes are checked already. Still perplexed...

OP
M
Reaction score
Found it! In the 'Keyboard' tab of 'Keyboard & Mouse' I had to check the box that says "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features".

That just created another problem... now I can't use my volume buttons (or screen brightness buttons)! This is so frustrating...

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah that's the problem: you have to organize this stuff well and carefully not to mention that some apps might lose some shortcuts if you assign them differently.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to get this to work? It seems like I should just be able to assign certain keys to certain functions (I've seen it before somewhere), but the Keyboard & Mouse system preferences aren't helping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.