battery preservation

Reaction score
Hello~
I just got my brand new MacBookPro and I'm curious as to what is the bast way to ensure that my battery will last as long as possible. Is it better to keep the computer plugged in to a wall socket whenever possible, or to use it until the battery runs out, then charge it overnight?
Also, how long does a battery normally last until it can no longer hold a charge?
Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
use it and abuse it :) its got an internal clock that started ticking the day it was made anyways.

you could spend years babying it, and get maybe a few charges more out of it. or u can enjoy it, and buy a new one in 2yrs ish...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I agree with the last poster. Use your battery and don't sweat it. So many people make such a big deal out of battery "care", and it's pointless. Leave it plugged in at home, use it on battery when there's no outlet around. $140 every two years for a new battery really doesn't strike me as that big of a deal.

In my experience with clients, the more a battery is used, the longer it lasts (the cells don't dry up). That being said, they have a limit cycle life (the number of times they can be charged and depleted).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i generally agree with the above posters about abusing it. but if you are ever going to use it as a desktop for an extended period of time, take out the battery for the week and then throw it in every so often.

plus the battery stops charging itself once it is fully charged and will then just use the power adapter until it is plugged in
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i generally agree with the above posters about abusing it. but if you are ever going to use it as a desktop for an extended period of time, take out the battery for the week and then throw it in every so often.

plus the battery stops charging itself once it is fully charged and will then just use the power adapter until it is plugged in
-chris

this is not really good info. when u remove the battery in the new Intel macs, the CPU clocks down to about 1ghz (at least in my 2.16).

this right here makes it not worth it to take it out!

forget that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.