X11 gvim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am a switcher, thats right. I use gvim extensively and is my preferred editor. I use my linux machine as my "number cruncher", as a result, I have my codes on that machine. I use my MacBook to connect to this Linux machine. As a result when I open gvim remotely from my macbook, the fontsize of the toolbar and the text are "extremely" tiny. If I use the increase/decrease guifont in vimrc file, it changes the fontsize of the text and not of the toolbar.

My question is: Can the fontsize be exported from the Linux box to the mac or do I need to set the x11 settings (xinitrc, xserverrc ...??) so that it accepts what is being set by the remote machine.

Any help on this will be deeply appreciated. It just seems like learning how to type all over again with emacs. :(

Thanks,
Rahul M.
aero_rahul at yahoo.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Anything wrong with opening a terminal, ssh'ing to your Linux box, and running standard old vi or is there a fancy X11 GUI functionality you require with gvim?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nopes, the reason I use gvim is so I can open and edit multiple files at the same time while staying in just one terminal window which I can use for compiling/testing/running etc ...

Thanks. Any bright ideas for this newbee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hmm, Apple's X11 implementation is kind of poor, so I'm not sure what one could do about that with rc files to increase font. My biggest peeve with the few times I use my Mac for X stuff is that the wm likes to put title bars off the top of the screen where I can't grab it to move a window. It really blows when it throws a dialog up behind the window I can't move. Since I can't acknowledge the dialog I gotta kill the app and try again.

Here's a thought, use System Preferences -> Universal Access to turn on screen zoom. When I'm working out with weights I'll have my Macbook out in the 'gym area' with the text file of my exercises opened in TextEdit. Since I don't typically wear my glasses when working out the font is a tad hard to read so I'll turn on the Zoom feature, ctrl-mousewheel and zooooom! I have readable text. Maybe that'll make it easier for you to read the menu items.

Zoom in, select menu, zoom out. Kinda hack-y, but might work out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.