• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Corrupt files when ripping a DVD

Reaction score
I've been trying to rip a specific DVD (which plays fine in my DVD player at home) and I keep getting a message that says the VIDEO_TS file is corrupted. Now really... if it runs fine in the DVD player, what could possibly be corrupt?

I'm a little anxious that it may be something wrong with my hardware because my 1-yr limited warranty is about to expire and I'm worried that I'll have to pay a lot of $$$ to get it fixed.

I've gotten a handful of hardware errors in the past few days, but I have been able to burn other files to a DVD and CD fine. I just have trouble getting the drive to recognize a LOT of DVDs -- like about half of the ones I put on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unless this is a home-made / non-professionally made DVD, you are likely encountering some form of copy protection that is intended to keep you from doing what you are doing. If you can rip other DVDs and not that one, then it's that DVD.

I would ask you to tell us what the DVD is and how you are ripping it, but that would violate forum rules. You could aways PM me though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.