power cable issues

Reaction score
when I pull out the coard for the power supply my macbook pro shuts down, is this serious?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well it's either a problem with the battery or the power management.

does your battery icon on the menu bar show an "X" or a percentage?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, neither?

gah, it would be easier if i were home with my macbook...

there should be something in the menubar that's related to your battery. if not, there may be a setting under system preferences (in the apple menu) under power to have it show on the menubar or not. you may be able to see the status of the battery from there too.

one thing you can try, is to have the battery removed and the power cord, then hold down the power button for at least 5 sec. then replace the battery and the power cord and turn it back on.

also, i'm not sure about the mac pro batteries, if they have the same monitor that the macbooks have. is there a small flush button on it's bottom next to 4 or 5 small dots (these will, or should light if that button is pressed, if you have this)?

Reaction score
yes,MBP do have the same battery indicator..

You should like you have a serious problem. From your post, I think you have not touched Power Management settings. By defaults, when you unplug the power cord, the screen would dim automatically (to save battery),but it would never shutdown. Worst case should be a standby.

Get an Apple guy to look at this

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.