• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

About Rumored "Brushed Aluminum" iMac Release

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
My theory is that if they are going to release these new Aluminum iMacs to "better match that of Apple's high-end systems as the company repositions the iMac as a more premium offering," then they definitely need to release a new desktop Mac.
Such as a slightly larger, more customizable, version of the Mac mini. They also need to make it white to place it in the consumer products category.

Just my input on the situation.

EDIT:
I think I should have used "Anodized Aluminum" in the title instead. Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
ye i have heard this rumor too. i really hope they do update the iMac as i am hoping to buy one soon.

1181293455.jpg

here is the website that i found it on.
http://9to5mac.com/Brushed-Metal-iMacs-Dropping-At-MacWorld

chrisgrieve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
That looks nice.

If I could plug in a MBP into it to use the screen I would buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Its all getting pretty interesting now, some sites are almost certain there'll be no new iMac, some are hoping for the new mini-replacment - some are focused on the iPhone

I'd say this is probably the most excited i've been about one of these keynotes or product launches! We'll see

Anyone going to get a white iMac on refurb? They'll probably be going for a nice price and they aren't bad machines at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Well we're all excited because there's just so much friggin information that we know will be divulged. Thankfully it'll put an end to the rumor mill...which, if you follow Apple news, is getting WAY out of hand right now thanks to the iPhone and the WWDC. :p

Reaction score
Yuck! I want my white iMac, not a brushed metal silver one. The white one is beautiful.

OP
DavisCollins
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
I'd say this is probably the most excited i've been about one of these keynotes or product launches! We'll see

That's exactly what I was thinking.

M

MacHeadCase

That looks pretty cool. But I wonder: if that image is accurate (and if this rumour is true), it doesn't look like you can adjust the screen's height or angle which is a drag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That looks pretty cool. But I wonder: if that image is accurate (and if this rumour is true), it doesn't look like you can adjust the screen's height or angle which is a drag.

That image is a Mac Pro case with an LCD screen photoshopped onto it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
this is my first WWDC as a Mac fan!

M

MacHeadCase

That image is a Mac Pro case with an LCD screen photoshopped onto it ;)

Hah! So it's false then!... Well anyway, WWDC is mainly for developers so I would be surprised if there is an avalanche of new hardware introduced that day. I would expect to see His Steveness present the features he wanted to keep secret up to the very end. Maybe a hardware intro but it wouldn't be the main thing, I would think. :)

After all, WWDC does stand for Worldwide Developer Conference. A Macworld Expo show it is not.

Reaction score
sounds like a good idea to me, but I have a feeling they will price them above what I am willing to spend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Aluminum sounds good and looks pretty but I would prefer a white one. I think the iMacs are beautiful as is, I can't imagine how the updated one will look! :) If they do go aluminum, I'll be checking out the white refurb iMacs. Which will probably go down in price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I would love that, but it'd have to be the top end model, just like apple usually goes.

I can't believe I wasted my 800th post like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are they bumping the iMac up into the pro line? If they do that AND kill of the mini, then they're consumer line is pretty much screwed.

Reaction score
Why are they bumping the iMac up into the pro line? If they do that AND kill of the mini, then they're consumer line is pretty much screwed.

Not necessarily. I can see apple bumping the iMac's in to the $1500-2000USD market, aimed toward the more power user market that purchases (or builds) higher powered machines for their needs (aspiring photo-editors, video editing, gamers, etc etc) but know the quad/octa core behemoth that is the Mac Pro is overkill, not to mention it has to have a monitor bought seperate.

It would be a smart move to fill the gap between those who need more power than an average consumer (who does nothing but web surf and a little media...) and those on a lightly lighter budget than Mac Pro.

My hopes? iMac's get there power bump and redesign. The Cube returns as a $700-1200 dollar consumer line. The Mac Mini fades into the sad Apple graveyard.

Reaction score
Brushed aluminum, white or black I don't really care. As long they have a new chipset I'm content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think iMac should stay where it is, they should release some other all-in-one computer lower down in the market, and make some more powerful iMacs, such as drawing near 3.0GHz, or 3.0GHz.

Brushed Metal ones would rock. I think that's the future.

They should make two lines of iMacs, cheaper ones, and slightly more powerful ones, called like Super iMac or something, because some people want more power than the iMac offers, but no wacky futuristic powerhouse insanity like the Mac Pro offers.

Ooh! Tri-core Macs, called triMacs! I LIKE THAT.

Reaction score
Super iMac? I don't like that idea at all, adds complexity to Apple's structure. A good layout I could see them sticking by would be ::

Low-end Consumer Desktop w/o Monitor :: $600 (Configurable up to around $1000)
High-End Consumer Desktop (iMac) :: $1300 (Configurable to $2000)
Professional's Desktop (Mac Pro) :: $2500 and beyond

Consumer Laptop (MacBook) :: $1000-1500
Professional's Laptop :: $2000 and beyond

Of course, this is pretty much there current setup, with minor price flux here or there. The key is making sure your components are worth what the customer is paying in context to the PC market (cause face-it, Apple has most of its current owners on board already, its trying to get more switchers).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I agree with Nicholi - apple does a job with making product lines that people can remember - it gets too complicated and their computers are just that; computer - they lose a brand name status

I'm not expecting the iMac to shoot into a pro or even prosumer status, but it could happen

There is no way I can afford a more expensive iMac - I already don't want things like bluetooth, webcam and a microphone but i'd have to pay for them

The whole low end thing you're talking about sounds great but only if its good value for money

Ohh! We have to wait and see! I hate it! If I orded a new computer from any company I wouldn't feel this excited, if I ordered a new iMac I wouldn't feel this excited! My mind works in strange ways

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.