Wine spilled all over my brand new macbook!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to Mac in general. I picked up my new Macbook a mth ago right after Apple updated it. I have been very happy about it and have very much convinced that I can leave the windows world behind..

Well, tonight, I am typing on this forum with my windows pc after my gf spilled red wine all over it!! Yes, the machine was on at the time!! the wine was all over the keyboard, some of the wine seemed to have went inside the keyboard between the keys and some spilled over to the vent at the back of the keyboard!! I quickly put paper towels on top of the keyboard in hope of it absorbing most of the wine. I could hear the fan getting real loud and then the macbook turned itself off. My gf turned it back on, there was nothing on the screen, but we could hear the sound when os x starts up. Still nothing on the screen, then it turned itself off again.

Now I turned the macbook sideways, and I noticed that the wine was coming out from inside the machine!! I kept it tilted for a while to make sure all the wine was out. I took the battery out. the battery compartment was clean. I took a look at the ports (usb, fireware, etc.), everything was clean too, no sign of wine.

My question is, if i turn it on tomorrow and it doesnt work, will apple cover it? Is there anything i can do besides what i've done to help? Let's just say, the video is really fried, how much would it cost to repair?

Sorry for such a long read...i hope you guys will understand my fustration right now! Any help is appreciated!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I very much understand your frustration and being very upset, but I am very sure Apple or any other manufacture will cover damage caused by Wine being spilled into the machine. You would have to lie which would be a wrong thing to do and even then I am sure they would figure out what happened. Sorry, I wish I could say more comforting words, but honestly I am very sure they won't be able to help you except repair the machine at your cost.

OP
S
Reaction score
I figure they can probably tell when they open up the case and see all the dry red marks on the system board. So if this is the case, they won't cover it at all? Even if I have Apple Care?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
apple care doesn't cover accidental damage as far as i know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Man...did i just flush $1700CAD down the drain?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not necessarily, but it will most likely be a big repair bill.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's the last thing I need to worry about...more out of my pocket :(

Is it repairable? When should I try to turn the laptop back on? It's been 2 hours.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
most likely, days. it really probably doesn't matter at this point. the only way you may have possibly saved it, if at all was if you'd immediately shut it down and yanked the battery, and not tuned it back on for at least a few days of drying time - if not more. the switching back on after you cleaned it was a really bad mistake.

OP
S
Reaction score
The only good only was...no burning smell of any sort. So you would suggest waiting for a few days before turning it back on?

OP
S
Reaction score
I removed one of the keys on the keyboard...looks like it is sealed off from the system board...can anyone verify?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. Do you suggest I bring it in to the apple store to have them take a look? I was only going to remove the keys on the keyboard to clean it out. After going through the first part of the guide, I might remove the ram and the HDD also if I don't bring my macbook in.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i wouldn't touch it and bring it in.

there's two possibilities here:

1) you take it apart, dry it off and it still will not work. then you take it to Apple and let them fix it.

2) you take it to Apple and let them fix it.

both options equal the same expenditure. option 1 wastes a lot more of your time, and you could end up damaging somethnig in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
What kind of red wine? BV Cab?

Kidding, I think you're best bet is to lie. I once knocked my GF's laptop over and the screen hit the corner of a table and the screen went black. Huge dent in the back of the moniter. Called ASUS and told them some lie about it not being my fault regardless of the dent in the back and I had it sent off and fixed and sent back within....a week and a half no questions asked.

I know her's wasn't an apple but you never know. If they repair it for free and no questions were asked then fine. If so, you pay. Just call and tell them its not working and send it in without telling them what happened. Just say you had no clue. Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Reaction score
Boy, oh boy, I cannot express how very, very sorry I am for you! In order to help alleviate your pain I suggest the following: package up the computer and mail it to me..........you know the saying.......out of sight, out of mind! I am glad to help in the healing process!! :Mischievous:

Actually, joking aside, I do feel for you. I would be lost without my Mac.

Reaction score
Wow. Man I feel deeply for you. But I think that just states how important it is not to have liquids near your computer. I once left the roof window open above my iMac. The next morning it was drenched. And when turning it on, it made noises and a gray screen came and nothing else.

A day later it booted fine, but I couldn't log in, my keyboard was typing gibberish (multiple characters at one keystroke). Waited another day and it all worked again.

The iMac is no longer under that window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Do you have any home insurance that would cover it? My contents insurance would cover an accident like this, except in my case it would be tea or chocolate crumbs instead of wine.

OP
S
Reaction score
What kind of red wine? BV Cab?

IT was a cabernet shiraz and it wasn't even that good, or my judgement could be really clouded now!

Kidding, I think you're best bet is to lie. I once knocked my GF's laptop over and the screen hit the corner of a table and the screen went black. Huge dent in the back of the moniter. Called ASUS and told them some lie about it not being my fault regardless of the dent in the back and I had it sent off and fixed and sent back within....a week and a half no questions asked.

I know her's wasn't an apple but you never know. If they repair it for free and no questions were asked then fine. If so, you pay. Just call and tell them its not working and send it in without telling them what happened. Just say you had no clue. Good luck. Let me know what happens.

As soon as they open up the case, the stain has gotta be all over it. Cant hide that.

Should I be going to the local apple store or have it send it in?

OP
S
Reaction score
Boy, oh boy, I cannot express how very, very sorry I am for you! In order to help alleviate your pain I suggest the following: package up the computer and mail it to me..........you know the saying.......out of sight, out of mind! I am glad to help in the healing process!! :Mischievous:

Actually, joking aside, I do feel for you. I would be lost without my Mac.

Nice try :p

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you have any home insurance that would cover it? My contents insurance would cover an accident like this, except in my case it would be tea or chocolate crumbs instead of wine.

This is something I have to find out from my home insurance. If i don't have that option, maybe I will add it today and report the claim next week hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.