"Docking" the MBP Into A Killer Desktop Rig

Reaction score
As I push myself to use my MBP more and more over my desktop windows box, i'm looking to setup my MBP as a sort-of detachable desktop while i'm at home. Instead of doing the simple thing of hooking it to a normal monitor, i'm looking to go a big step further. Here's the idea.

Current Goods ::
MacBook Pro
Olevia 27" LCD HDTV
Creative Labs 5.1 Surround Sound
XtremeMac DVI-to-HDMI cable
Seagate FreeAgent 320gb External (FAT32 Format)

What I Think I Need ::
Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard (or standard 2.4 wireless?)
Sound cable of some sort (Going from optical minjack to standard optical?)

So in the end you get a MBP, hooked up to a HDTV & surround sound, being used wireless across the room as I set in my bed surfing Mac-Forums!

Does this sound like a working idea? I've already tested the video portion, and the MBP picked up my TV's native resolution like a champ. The only things I'm unsure on is what audio cable i need, and a good reccomendation for wireless mouse/keyboard solution. Once this is all set (hopefully before Saturday), I'll post pics and my thoughts here.

Anyone care to assist and answering my questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i used to do that exact same thing on my windows laptop a while back. and they have a setup like that at our high schools around here. its niiiiiiiice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Tell you what I have:

Toshiba Notebook USB media center. Built-in, it has:
4-Port Hi-Speed USB hub
5.1 Surround Sound Card

This would take care of two of your issues with a single long USB cable...plug the external storage into a USB port on the back of the dock, and use the 5.1 output on the dock for your surround speakers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.