Panther start-up is annoying - how to maintain consistency?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Everytime I start-up in Panther, the bluetooth button in the apple toolbar on top of the screen is missing. I always goto the prefs and set it as "show in toolbar", but everytime i switch on, its missing. And to make matters worse, its always "ON" when the PB starts up. i DONT want it On, I want it off, and to be displayed on the toolbar. I set it everytime but it never works. This is pi$sing me off. :mad:

How ironic - this time around, NONE of the icons came up, BT, Airport, Time, Keyboard Layout, Display Res, and a couple more. None have come up, its just one icon there, which is the Norton AutoProtect.

Anyone got a clue why this is happening? It is really annoying, I hate setting preferences everytime I start my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I'm guessing you probably have FileVault turned on, and that is why.

Strider said:
Everytime I start-up in Panther, the bluetooth button in the apple toolbar on top of the screen is missing. I always goto the prefs and set it as "show in toolbar", but everytime i switch on, its missing. And to make matters worse, its always "ON" when the PB starts up. i DONT want it On, I want it off, and to be displayed on the toolbar. I set it everytime but it never works. This is pi$sing me off. :mad:

How ironic - this time around, NONE of the icons came up, BT, Airport, Time, Keyboard Layout, Display Res, and a couple more. None have come up, its just one icon there, which is the Norton AutoProtect.

Anyone got a clue why this is happening? It is really annoying, I hate setting preferences everytime I start my computer.

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Osiris22x said:
I'm guessing you probably have FileVault turned on, and that is why.

Yes thats true. But how does that concern this issue? Please explain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Any chance you can just sleep the system in the off intervals? It's kinda how Unix/OS X is designed to run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Strider said:
Yes thats true. But how does that concern this issue? Please explain.

Why it does it I don't know but FileVault was screwing up all of my preferences and everything when I first switched to panther....When I disabled FileVault it was all fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
How weird. I have used filevault on both my users and have had no worries at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I have a feeling theres just a currupt file somewhere on your OS... it shouldn't be hard to fix, it may even work itself out. Because when your restarting your computer something isn't being saved. Could even be hardware related. I usta have a problem similar to that, but it just worked itself out in a OS update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite,

No, he's simply using Filevault and that's what's wrong. Filevault has a million glitches in it, one of which is that none of your preferences get saved upon reboot. Turn off Filevault and everything should be fine.

Strider: Try it just to humor me, and tell us if that fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lol relax, were all trying to find the answer. My comment is perfectly correct relative to any solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have had no preferences lost with file vault on, so that affect must be variable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark,

Yeah, it depends on when you enable Filevault (before or after the preference is set). Just consider yourself lucky. ;)

T

TylerMoney

I just don't use filevault...my solution....it seems to be the one os x part that needs a whole lot of work...from what I've heard....it's just not forth using....

I mean jeez...I'm 20, and am going to college..why the heck do I need that much security?....nobody uses my computer but me....and if someone else does...it would be my roommates, usually with permission, and they have no intentioins on currupting my files....and/or don't know enough about computers to know what files would be "worth" anything..

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope I will not don't lose out any files/preferences upon turning off filevault..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I recommend a software often, I think it may be useful here on the corrupt preference idea, though its probably filevault causing the problems, get an app called preferencial treatment at versiontracker.com, it checks user and sytem prefs for corrupt files.
I hear bad things about filevault so often, I think maybe apple should release it separately, so those needing that much security can have it, and those that dont dont have it to mess anything up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.