storing my G4 over the summer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Sadly, in about a week, I shall be going back home to the crash-prone Doze computer. :(

This means that I have to figure out how to store my G4, Ian Iachimoe. I am required to put it in the storage room of the dorm I will be living in next year.

Here's what I want to know:

1. Will Ian Iachimoe be all right in the storage room?

2. Should I do anything special [besides putting it back in the box] to make sure it will be all right over the summer?

3. Some of my friends were saying that I should put Ian Iachimoe back in the box and seal it really well. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :)

J

jerodhusvar

Beatles4Life said:

3. Some of my friends were saying that I should put Ian Iachimoe back in the box and seal it really well. Is this a good idea?

Your machine should be just fine boxed up, taped up well and stored away. Don't you wish you'd have bought a Powerbook? :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Packing it up is fine, is the store room well airconditioned? Are you able to get some of those gel packs (or whatever) that electronics ship with to absorb moisture? In any case if the room is Air con that may well be enough! And the way things are now, I can't imagine your household not thinking of a switch! This worm fest is staggering!

S

Sita

It's just a computer, it'll be fine, lol. Don't it next to any huge magnets, and if possible, try to stick a packet of silica in there to absorb the moisture. But realistically, it'll be fine.

I personally think you're nuts. My computer goes everywhere with me...but then again, that's why I bought a Powerbook. ;)

B

Badger

I've serviced a couple of machines where the internal battery has died while the machine was in storage. However, that doesn't cause any problems other than you lose the PRAM settings. If you feel the storage area is not as secure as you like you might want to backup your important data. As for packing it up, just re-pack it as close to original as you can. After all, it was shipped and sat around in storage like that before you got it.
Badger

OP
Beatles4Life
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
The storage room will be locked all summer. :)

From what other people have told me, all the storage rooms are on the cool side (50 or 60 degrees Fahrehneit), which means I probably won't need any gel packs.

When the storage room is opened up on Monday, I'll go over and check it out. :)

About the whole PowerMac versus PowerBook stuff, I spent soooo much time debating over which one to get. I went with the PowerMac because I really don't have a lot of experience with laptops. :)

Witeshark: I've been trying to convince my family to switch. My brother got really interested when I told him about the dock. I hope he gets a Mac when his clunky Dell with Doze Extra Problems goes kaput. :D

Sita: I'll make sure to stay away from any magnets. ;)

Thanks so much for all the responses. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Maybe they need to try Mac at a store, that's how I got switched :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.