planning to purchase macbookpro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP: 2.40ghz, 4gb ram, 256mb vram
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to MAC. Never owned MAC before. I'm planning to buy a MacBook Pro. Going to order it tonight! I also would like to throw in windows vista. Any one know if i can throw in Windows Vista x64?

looking forward to your comment/suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey nyzwerewolf,

Welcome to the forums. MacBook Pro is an a great Notebook. Congrats in Advance.

I have the Black MacBook and I run Windows XP on it with no issues through Parallels. I know for a fact that Parallels supports Vista, but I am not sure if Boot Camp does. But I don't think there will be a problem running Windows Vista x64 on you MBP, but then again I am not 100% sure.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD
Congrats mate!

I also made the switch not long ago with a White Macbook (wasn't paying the extra $300 for the colour lol) and have had nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about it

As for Vista, I was assured that Vista is compatible with Bootcamp by the Mac salesman so you should have no issues with running it via Parallels or Bootcamp

Are the mac processors 64 bit though? I'd be interested to know. I have 32 Vista Ultimate on my PC, I was given it to me by work for no cost, if I had a say I'd go for the 64 bit version (I'm running a Dual Core 4800+ 64bit)

Anyway keep me posted about your feeling with your new toy!

Heller

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You can run Windows Vista on any Intel mac. That's the short of it.

Here's the long:

Windows Vista of ANY version will run through BootCamp, provided you have beta version 1.2 or higher (1.2 is the highest version out right now).

Parallels will likewise run any version of Vista, HOWEVER, the EULA of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium explicitly forbid running the OS through virtualization...this means Parallels.

What this essentially means is that in order to run Windows Vista through Parallels, you MUST have Vista Business or Ultimate. Otherwise you'd be violating the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
The Core 2 Duo range are 64bit, if the last core duo mac is the mini, its the last 32bit mac

I find the intel transition very interesting - you've got your G4 32bit then the G5 64bit, then core duo 32bit

Hard to even compare powerPC and intel but still

If I were you i'd just Ultimate on it - I hope you enjoy

Hellerphant - nice CPU you have there

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello guys,

thanks for all your advices! So yea, i went and picked up a brand new macbook pro @ 2.40ghz. I love it so far. It just gets pretty wild hot.. thats all.

So yea, i installed bootcamp, threw in Windows Vista 64bit, my "Right Click" doesn't work, and i cant see my Ethernet Adapters/Wireless Adapter in the "Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections"

anyone knows why?

Is this b/c the bootcamp drivers for windows are 32bit? let me know guys! thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I think I heard that there was a new version of Parallels out recenly and another beta bootcamp. Apprarently bootcamp will be part of Leopard when it arrives also. There is a program from VMware I think that will also allow Vista through Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
hello guys,

thanks for all your advices! So yea, i went and picked up a brand new macbook pro @ 2.40ghz. I love it so far. It just gets pretty wild hot.. thats all.

So yea, i installed bootcamp, threw in Windows Vista 64bit, my "Right Click" doesn't work, and i cant see my Ethernet Adapters/Wireless Adapter in the "Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections"

anyone knows why?

Is this b/c the bootcamp drivers for windows are 32bit? let me know guys! thanks again.

That is a good question, indeed. If I were you, since not a TON of software/drivers are available in 64-bit versions for Windows quite yet, I would install Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. You'll get the same experience, since the MacBook Pro can support only 4 GB RAM anyway, there's no need to run 64-bit Windows.

Plus, all of the updated (1.2 and beyond) Boot Camp drivers work surprisingly well under Vista 32-bit. I have Ultimate installed right now ONLY to play Halo 2. =)

Edit: From the Parallels Desktop for Mac Website:
Note: only 32-bit Guest Operation Systems are being supported now.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.