Memory in BootCamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
I found a super deal on RAM for my iMac C2D, and I know it'll only support 3Gb as OSX, but if I put in 2 x 2Gb sticks, will WinXp run as 4Gb? or is that strictly dependent on the C2D?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm pretty sure the supported RAM is dependent on the CPU. I've seen comments that the new MBPs can support up to 4GB RAM now due to the Santa Rosa chip. If that's the case, than it's hardware based and won't work.

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
i wish it were that easy. everything i've read from apple says the core 2 duo will only support 3Gb to utilize both cores. but for the very temporary moment, i do more processing with games in XP. but my wife's interior design will go into CAD's and graphics very shortly, and i would just like to be better prepared if i can be...

How do i find out if i've got a santa rosa? we got the iMac shipped in April from Apple b/c of the video upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.