Powerbook Fan/heat

T

TylerMoney

Hey everyone

I've been noticing that the fan on my powerbook comes on quite quickly as of late. I'll be surfing, and no fan, and then I'll watch a quicktime video, lets say the Incredibles new trailer, and then my fan will kick on. I have noticed it coming on sooner, at least I don't ever remember it coming on this soon before, and getting hotter sooner. Now this could have something to do with the increased temperature outside...it is quite a bit hotter....and there is no AC in the house. But right now it feels pretty wonderful in the house. Also, I haven't rebooted my powerbook in almost 5 full days (meaning its only resting was sleep...would it be a good idea to reboot maybe?....)

Would this be the problem?....or is the fan just kicking on more now? Is this a problem I should worry about?...or if as long as my computer itself doesn't act funny I'm fine? I just want to make sure I go about this the right way, and don't burn out anything....it's still underwarranty, but I'd still rather not burn out my computer, and then lose all my stuff (I'll fix that by backing up though). Any advice, easing of the mind, or anything would rock. thanks yall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd say no need to worry. If it's a bit warmer, that may be a factor, but certainly video and such run the CPU more and that is very normal to trigger the fan. Rebooting will not change it, sleep is good enough rest. Just make sure there is good air movement around it, maybe something under it to allow airflow below it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.