trouble using HD TV as MacBook monitor

Reaction score
I have a 32" HD Polariod TV. I purchased a mini-DVI to DVI adapter from APPLE and connected it to a DVI to HDMI cable. I connected the cable to my HDMI input on my TV and changed the TV input to HDMI and get no signal on the TV. What am I doing wrong? SHould I not use the HDMI and try to use DVI to VGA??
Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
could be that your mb is low on power so try it with the ac adapter on. if that still doesnt work, turn the tv off and shut the mb down then power it back up and wait till you see the desktop then turn on the tv.

OP
N
Reaction score
Tried doing that too. The resolution on the MacBook changes to 800x600 stretched but the TV says "no signal"

Reaction score
is the mini dvi adapter plugged into the mb tightly? it has to sorta snap in there till you hear a little click. that's weird that the rez changed. try playing around with the display settings.

OP
N
Reaction score
no dice. Nothing. I swtiched it around to all the display settings. The TV just is not receiving any signal from the mb. The cable and adapter are brand new. Should I expect the same trouble from the VGA input on the TV also if it is not recognizing a signal from the HDMI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
I use a mini-div to VGA with my 32" Polaroid and it works. I can't really get the clearest picture on the tv, but it is perfect for watching movies, etc. The highest resolution I can get is 1280X720(If i remember right), in which the text isn't the clearest but you can still read it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
if the rez changes on the macbook it means the macbook is doing its job and sending the image as the macbook will change its rez to whats best for the 2nd monitor or in this case tv.

now it should just work so all i can think is there is a problem on the tv end of the set up try running something down the same hdmi cable in to the tv and if that works i am stuck

or try using the vga port on the tv thats what i do and it works a treat.

sorry i canrt be more help

OP
N
Reaction score
My upconversion DVD player works perfectly in the TV's HDMI port. BUt not the mb????
Thanks for your attempt to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.