• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iSight Camera gone? New iSight Displays?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Maybe I don't have all the facts, but I just tried to look up the iSight cameras on Apple.com, but couldn't find them anywhere. Have they been gone long?

If not, I dreamed up a little scenario where Apple quietly discontinued them because they plan to introduce new cinema displays with iSight built in. That, along with the discontinuance of the Minis would put iSight into every apple computer (as long as you guy their display) and render the separate iSight camera useless.

Or maybe they just weren't selling them. I just like deducing rumors! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
As far as I know they discontinued them. I was thinking about it only today, as of course Tower owners can't use it, but i believe there are some Mac friendly usb cameras out there...

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just did some more digging around and found that it was discontinued last December; no big surprises. Though, putting iSight into the displays seems like a natural step for Apple. It's been forever since they updated those darn displays!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
They could have at least keept them around for tower owners like Simbad said. I'd love to get one for my Mac Pro and Dual 19" LG LCD's, but looks like I'll have to spend an arm and a leg on eBay for one.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll just go aftermarket. They never really did update the things, so there must be 3rd party cams that are at least as good and not as big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
You must have been out sick during that whole debacle. Yes, they were discontinued last December.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have been out sick during that whole debacle. Yes, they were discontinued last December.

Somebody felt it was relevant to post negative reputation points for this post.

"Please, learn some respect"
I was honestly kidding, because there was a lot of controversy when the iSight was discontinued. I also noticed that the person that started this thread had 1,000+ posts which means they obviously pay attention to what goes on in the Apple community.

Just felt like I needed to clear that up.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't me and I wasn't offended. I'm usually better about looking that kind of info up before posting. I didn't know much about the iSight issues because it was about the time I got my first Mac.

No worries from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't me and I wasn't offended. I'm usually better about looking that kind of info up before posting. I didn't know much about the iSight issues because it was about the time I got my first Mac.

No worries from me.

Thanks! To be honest I did think it was you! O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.