My MacBook won't turn on

Reaction score
Dear Users,
As the title states, my MacBook won't turn on. I have an appt. at the local store tomorrow, but wanted to see if there was anything I could do before then. I was downloading the podcast of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. The settings on my computer were set to put it to sleep in fifteen minutes. I am in the process of shopping for a removable hard drive so I can back up my memories, and now I am freaking a bit. Can anyone at least reassure me that my data will still be there?!

-Bill :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
So upon hitting the power button, the book doesn't try to boot up at all? no flashing lights, any sound?

JMO

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but did you try plugging it in? Maybe the battery is just dead.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try taking out the battery also.

Reaction score
My Macbook doesn't turn on

Hi there!

All of a sudden my Mac is not working, I turn it on this morning and the screen went light grey as it is when you start up, but got stuck and start making a repetitive weird sound like a bip, and the flashing light on the right bottom it's flashing intermitent.

It makes the sound like when you turn it on, but afterwards it gets stuck and start with this weird sound and the light.

I already try by pulling out the battery and pressing the buttoms command+option+p+r all together.

Any advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Welcome to Mac-Forums, Tom. I hope you enjoy your experience here.

Before I start helping the both of you, I'll have to tell Tom something: Don't hijack threads. Tom, I'd recommend you start your own, and don't double post. Thanks! :)

Tom, for your problem, it appears that your power button may be stuck or sticky. Make sure it's coming all the way down and all the way back up, and it's flush with the surface of the plastic, and not recessed. The bip I'm afraid could be a HDD failure. Take it to your local Apple Store or call Apple to have them send a box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hi there!

All of a sudden my Mac is not working, I turn it on this morning and the screen went light grey as it is when you start up, but got stuck and start making a repetitive weird sound like a bip, and the flashing light on the right bottom it's flashing intermitent.

It makes the sound like when you turn it on, but afterwards it gets stuck and start with this weird sound and the light.

I already try by pulling out the battery and pressing the buttoms command+option+p+r all together.

Any advice?
The flashing light and a beeping sound would indiate a problem with the ram.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303083

Reaction score
Hello,

Although my macbook doens't turn on as it written in the subject in this tread I have different situation:
suddenly after an less than hour of using macbook with battery it turned off and doesn't turn on again when pressing power button. No lights, no sound, anything (also tried with plugging it in into the electrical outlet without battery and checked battery in another macbook which wasn't the problem).

Any ideas why it doens't turn on again? Mabook was bought just last year (brought from other country) and I don't have any shops around :(

Reaction score
Hello,

Although my macbook doens't turn on as it written in the subject in this tread I have different situation:
suddenly after an less than hour of using macbook with battery it turned off and doesn't turn on again when pressing power button. No lights, no sound, anything (also tried with plugging it in into the electrical outlet without battery and checked battery in another macbook which wasn't the problem).

Any ideas why it doens't turn on again? Mabook was bought just last year (brought from other country) and I don't have any shops around :(

Same thing here BUT if I put my ear in my mac while pressing the power button it makes a lil ticking sound : / (no joke by the way) tried evrything but aside from that sound nothing...

Reaction score
Hello All,

After reading the post of omax i can explain the noise. The noise that you are hearing is the van starting working. I know this because its happening with me at this moment.

In resume what is happening i dont know but what i know is that the computer trys to start (i see the two vans moving) but it stops in a second... and it doesnt turn on.
Anyone Can help me? Omax did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Eduardo

Reaction score
Macbook won't turn on

Hi, I had this problem recently and tried almost the same things you did. Then it occurred to me that it could be linked to the RAMs. I opened the macbook and found a dry white thing like some kind of leakage on the metal contacts of the RAMs. I cleaned that up and reseated them and the macbook started normally. I hope this can help.

Reaction score
Same Issue, BUT Boots fine with no battery installed!

Had the same issue! Does anyone else have success when removing the battery completely, leaving it out and starting the macbook / macbook pro with ac power? Mine is working fine like this but fails as soon as I install any battery. Have tried multiple, some from functioning laptops so I know its not the battery!

Reaction score
Macbook

My mac won't turn on either. I hold the button and the fan turns on then it makes a click sound coming from the dvd player. i have tried all the things on the apple website but nothing works. anybody got some tips???? i could really used them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to be more descriptive. If the fan comes on, then obviously your MacBook is getting power and turning on. Are you referring to it not booting? In other words, the screen doesn't light up, and so forth?

You may have a dead hard drive. Use your original install DVD to boot the machine and check it with Disk Utility. See this LINK for detailed instructions on how to trouble shoot your MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.