problems with my mac mail account

Reaction score
I am having problems with my mac mail account using it in my macbook. I can recieve mail but not send out any to anyone. It says i have a problem with smtp or something similar to that. How can I resolve my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
check your smtp in accounts, in the preferences section of the mail setting... then make sure it is set properly, like smtp.gmail.com if gmail is your email address. also you must go into the mail server, for instance in gmail i would have to go into settings and allow POP to sending so that mail could be obtained and sent through my gmail account.. u probably just typed it in incorrectly.. not a real problem though.

--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
check your smtp in accounts, in the preferences section of the mail setting... then make sure it is set properly, like smtp.gmail.com if gmail is your email address. also you must go into the mail server, for instance in gmail i would have to go into settings and allow POP to sending so that mail could be obtained and sent through my gmail account.. u probably just typed it in incorrectly.. not a real problem though.

--

POP (Post-Office-Protocol) has nothing to do with retrieving mail. POP is in charge for retrieving mail for your e-mail accounts. Your problem lies obviously, in the realm of proper SMTP configuration. Be sure you're on the correct ports, denoted by the e-mail provider.

--------

If you're on Gmail, they provide you step-by-step instructions on setting it up. I don't use Yahoo or Hotmail, but I'm almost confident they should provide you with some sort of instructions. If you can't find them, just tell me who your e-mail provider is and I'll try to find them for you.

OP
G
Reaction score
well it was installed in my macbook. Its the smtp.mac.com and then my username. So I'm not quite sure what you guys are saying but thats what it says in my outgoing server.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi gottabethejays.

I'm not too savvy with configuring network stuff. But I can give you an example of how I set up my .Mac account.

While you receive your emails from Apple, Apple is not the SMTP. For instance our internet service provider is videotron.ca so the SMTP is relais.videotron.ca not smtp.mac.com.

Like say your ISP is Sympatico, the SMTP would have to be "something".sympatico.ca. If you're not sure how to configure this, the info has to be in the papers you got when you signed up for your ISP account, Iwould think.

OP
G
Reaction score
SO basically I would need to configure it with sbc or is it att dsl? There's no auto detect in the server? Because I can surely recieve mail but I cannot send mail. Thanks everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
whoops..thanks for the pick-up

M

MacHeadCase

SO basically I would need to configure it with sbc or is it att dsl? There's no auto detect in the server? Because I can surely recieve mail but I cannot send mail. Thanks everyone

I really don't know the proper set-up for this. Like I said, you will probably find this info in the documents your ISP sent you when you signed up for the service. If not give their support staff a call to get help in setting up Mail.app properly.

While you receive and send your emails from Apple, you don't actually receive or send your emails through them even when you mark your email account as .Mac. The real email receiver/sender is your ISP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.