Bad hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I have been having problems with checkdisk errors & such on the Windows side of my MBP for about 2 months, so I booted into OS X to restore my HDD back to one HFS partition. After doing that I got all of my space back, but I ran "Verify Disk" under disk utility and got this error. I then restored OS X (full re-install, saving nothing) to bring my MBP back to factory, and I got an error-free Verify Disk run. Now, just 14 hours later, I have this same error again.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it a bad HDD, if so, how to I go about getting it fixed? It should be covered, I've only had my MBP since mid-February.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Did you try to repair it using Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I've heard good things about DiskWarrior. Check it out.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
For future reference, if anyone else has a similar problem, boot from your OS X recovery disc and run Disk Utility from the disc - it will then allow you to repair the disc vs. having it grayed-out. Now I'm most of the way back on track, I'm trying to trick BootCamp into letting me do multiple partitions for Windows by making a large partition (60GB) and then splitting it from the Windows XP setup... we'll see how this goes. :)

If it fails, I'll not be out anything - a fresh install of OS X won't take long and there's nothing on there except a new background. :D:D:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.