Mac info please for potential Mac Owner!!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been using PCs (dirty word here I guess!!) for years but am gonna switch to a Mac, prob a second hand G4 powerbook, but really want to know some stuff before I become a convert!
Id really appreciate some answers to these Qs, Im hoping this isa the best place to find out!...

1, Are Macs completely Virus free?
2, Can I use my Sony MP3 player with a Mac?
3, Whats in iLfie, is it any good, and can I sort/edit my photos?
4, Do the slightly older G4 powerbooks have graphic cards/ can they play DVDs/ are they quick machines?
5, Is a second hand powerbook a sensible, reliable and safe option, or shall I buy new?
6, Are Macs really that much better than windows based kit... ?
7, Any other tips, advice or info thats helpful would be good!

I know there's loads of questions here but Id be really grateful of 10 mins of your time, but think of how a Mac will enhance my life!!

Many, many thanks,

Leon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hi mate,
I don't own a mac .... yet! but I know that all the answers to what you're asking above are in these forums somewhere. I think they may well have been asked a zillion times. :)
I know 'cos I've asked some!! :D
Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
1, Are Macs completely Virus free?
It is my understanding that there has yet to be a virus written that directly affects Apple computers. You can, however, pass on a Windows-based virus to another Windows user through e-mail.
2, Can I use my Sony MP3 player with a Mac?
Yes, as long as your Sony MP3 player mounts as an external USB drive. You'll just drag your MP3 files onto the drive image. I know there are some Sony players that don't play nice with Macs, but some do, so you'll have to check.
3, Whats in iLfie, is it any good, and can I sort/edit my photos?
iLife is a suite of applications comprised of iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band. iPhoto is quite possibly the best basic photo management tool I have come across yet. It will also allow you to build slideshows and photobooks, so it's definitely a good program.
4, Do the slightly older G4 powerbooks have graphic cards/ can they play DVDs/ are they quick machines?[\QUOTE]
Yes, to all of the above. The only thing they can't do that the new Intel Macs can is run Windows natively.
5, Is a second hand powerbook a sensible, reliable and safe option, or shall I buy new?
I think that you should be able to find a second-hand MacBook Pro CD or C2D for relatively the same price, seeing as another revision of MBP just came out. I would go with the newest machine you can afford.
6, Are Macs really that much better than windows based kit... ?
RESOUNDING YES!!!
7, Any other tips, advice or info thats helpful would be good!
Just read around the forums, and ask any questions about things that you don't understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I answered in the other thread/forum.

Reaction score
Killer Tip: Don't buy the Laptop unless you get the Install Discs that came with it as well. This may save you a lot of tears, headache, suffering, misery and sorrow later in life :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.