Mac Info Please!!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been using PCs (dirty word here I guess!!) for years but am gonna switch to a Mac, prob a second hand G4 powerbook, but really want to know some stuff before I become a convert!
Id really appreciate some answers to these Qs, Im hoping this isa the best place to find out!...

1, Are Macs completely Virus free?
2, Can I use my Sony MP3 player with a Mac?
3, Whats in iLfie, is it any good, and can I sort/edit my photos?
4, Do the slightly older G4 powerbooks have graphic cards/ can they play DVDs/ are they quick machines?
5, Is a second hand powerbook a sensible, reliable and safe option, or shall I buy new?
6, Are Macs really that much better than windows based kit... ?
7, Any other tips, advice or info thats helpful would be good!

I know there's loads of questions here but Id be really grateful of 10 mins of your time, and think of how a Mac will enhance my life!!

Many, many thanks,

Leon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
These kinds of questions belong in the Switcher forum. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Cheers.

Oh :eek: , Cheers for info Mike!, I'll put it in switchers!
Is there a way I can repost without retyping it all?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
4, Do the slightly older G4 powerbooks have graphic cards/ can they play DVDs/ are they quick machines?
5, Is a second hand powerbook a sensible, reliable and safe option, or shall I buy new?

1) Yes, there are known viruses for the Mac at this time. That doesn't mean there could or will never be some though.

2) Probably not, but who knows. Check with Sony for Mac compatibility.

3) iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie (iDVD?). Yes, you can use iPhoto or 3rd party apps.

4) Yes. Quick is a relative term, but they decent machines.

5) IMHO, Yes. It is an inexpensive way for you to look at OSX and decide if you like it.

6) That is really a personal choice. I use a PC daily at work, but use only Macs at home. Just because I like them doesn't mean they are the right tool for everybody or everything.

7) Remember that OSX is NOT Windows. Don't expect to act like it or do things like it. Keep an open mind and be open to how OSX does things differently. Different doesn't mean wrong, it just means different. This is the hardest part for many long time Windows users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Hi all,
Ive been using PCs (dirty word here I guess!!) for years but am gonna switch to a Mac, prob a second hand G4 powerbook, but really want to know some stuff before I become a convert!
Id really appreciate some answers to these Qs, Im hoping this isa the best place to find out!...

I know there's loads of questions here but Id be really grateful of 10 mins of your time, and think of how a Mac will enhance my life!!

Many, many thanks,

Leon.
1, virus free, technically yes. basically you would have to install the virus yourself right now....but in general for right now they are virrus free

2, you should be able to get it to work by mounting it as a drive and then drag/drop mp3's....no where near as easy as using an ipod. youwill want one once you get the mac

3, http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E099&nplm=MA166Z/A

4, yes they have graphic cards, ones with dvd drives can play dvds: http://lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html

4a, they are not slow, but not as fast as the new ones coming out. play with a friends if you can get your hands on one

5, it is a good option if you need to save some money. a used 'book can have al lot of problems, it all depends on the previous owner

6, depends on the user, but IMHO yes they are far superior

7, get one and enjoy it but please do your research first. i hate seeing people go "i bought this piece of crap because it doesnt play all my windows games, my windows apps dont work and i cant do things like i did on windows" my answer to that is always, "its not windows you nob!"

enjoy and hope this helped!
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.