Glossy or Matte : New Macbook Pro ?

Reaction score
The only decision I have to make now is to get a Glossy or Matte screen on the 15" MacBook Pro I plan on buying. Anyone have any Pros/Cons of each? I know that things look more vibrant on the Glossy, but it also reflects like more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Please search for this topic, there have been a ton of threads on this very thing:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53247
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58807
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47141
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44556
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42437
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38474
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35062

I like the matte because the glossy reflects too much and if you dont look at it from the right angle the colors get washed out. Plus I do graphic design and the glossy screen enhances the colors too much so they arent true to what would be printed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Matte. Unless you don't want to be able to see anything on your screen =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
that is a bunch of serious bull, i am surprised that matte is still sold, you will have LITTLE to no glare,.. personally i have had virtually none at all. unless you plan on using your laptop in direct sunlight.. the matte screen is rather dull and bland whereas the glossy is significantly brighter and more vibrant. Apple just updated to a sweet video geforce card, EXPLOIT the capabilities, why not get glossy so you can enhance the viewing experience.

oh yea, i think the glossy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I prefer the glossy by far, but you can get serious glare if you work with your back to a window or in the sun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Matte. Unless you don't want to be able to see anything on your screen =)

Picked up a MBP yesterday with a glossy screen. I've made sure to use it in several lighting conditions just to make sure I don't have any problems with reflections. I've used it in the dark, outside, under flourescent lighting... happy I went with glossy, the colors are amazing and I can see everything! =P

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Are the glossy screens more prone to scratches, or rather more prone to show scratches?

Reaction score
I really like my glossy screen. I feel like everything just looks so much smoother and nicer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glossy screen is beautiful to look at, yes. But if you have a window or source of light (even bright objects) you will see their reflection on the screen and it will get annoying fast.

Think about it... CRTs used glass because they HAD to. What other displays use glossy screens?
Movie theatre, no. Project TVs, no. wwhhyy?? because you dont want reflections.

A matte screen will show you the true image generated by the computer. Glossy will reflect your surroundings.

I think glossy is just to show off, 'look at my shiny toy'. Aside from the reflections... whats the difference? I bet if you put both in dark rooms w/ zero reflections they'd look exactly the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think glossy is just to show off, 'look at my shiny toy'. Aside from the reflections... whats the difference? I bet if you put both in dark rooms w/ zero reflections they'd look exactly the same.
That's not too nice when it's a matter of opinion!? I wouldn't have chosen glossy (had I gone for MBP over the MB) to show off.

The difference is very much one of the individual eye! If you don't see anything different other than reflections, that's valid enough. I see the glossy colors more brilliantly with a higher contrast. (Also, I was looking at an Authorized Reseller, not the freakishly, overly lit Apple store.)

I very nearly got a 15" MBP with glossy screen, but decided the size and heat were more than I wanted to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
size and heat are irrelevant, i have NO heat problems at all. The glossy screen is superior, period. Some glare may exist , but not much, if you have your back to the sun,... CLOSE THE BLINDS !!! the picture is more brilliant and vibrant, if you like tosee the effects of a graphic card then get glossy, but if your a safe kind of person and complain about every little detail then get the matte. personal opinion at the end of the day..

--

F

Fallooza

i think i would get matte. you might like glossy, period

no glare > picture more brilliant and vibrant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, sorry if I was mean.

The glossy gives the illusion of crisper images. But they are not. You have a finite number of pixels. Putting a glossy piece of plastic over the display will not make it more vibrant or raise your dpi.

For a professional in graphics or video, i'd recommend the matte - so you see the truest colors and shapes possible. For an office pro, number cruncher, or musician / sound engineer, it probably doesn't matter as much.

Related story...
My boss made me upgrade to Vista and gave me a matte 17" samsung LCD. I had put on a desktop picture of a calm lake with a steep steep mountain and the reflections were beautiful. So much so, that my boss did not believe the screen was matte. The image's reflections gave the perception of a glossy screen. I turned off the monitor... matte as can be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
The glossy gives the illusion of crisper images. But they are not. You have a finite number of pixels. Putting a glossy piece of plastic over the display will not make it more vibrant or raise your dpi.

Agreed. The talk about "seeing the effects of the graphics card" with a glossy screen is just strange, in my mind. It's as giulio said - all it is is a piece of plastic over the screen. It's not going to make your graphics card work any better or worse. The only thing the glossy screen affects is your perception of the colors on the screen, and unless you're a professional who needs accurate color reproduction (in which case you should get the matte), it's all a matter of what you like to look at.

I have a matte MBP, while my brother has a MacBook. Both screens are very pleasing to the eye. I just prefer the matte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH! This morning I remember precisely why I didn't want the matte, beyond my impression of the colors, etc.

With matte I had to have the screen angle placed at a specific degree in order to see the display in it's entirety. The glossy display doesn't "fade away" that quickly with the angle. The matte reminded me a little of those "animated" baseball cards where you tilt them different directions to see two or three different poses, and have to hold it in a precise spot in order to view! :p

At any rate, it wasn't horrible ~ it just wasn't what I wanted. Giulio, you're right about the graphics and video. I'm a musician so matte is not a necessity.

Core20, I happen to be very sensitive to temperature, so it is not irrelevant for me (or others like me). The heat of the MBP was quite noticeable and uncomfortable for the heels of my hands while I typed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is not because of the glossy screen, and that is for you or others like you.. i have run numerous programs at the same time and as stated before NEVER went above 125 degrees and never had rpms above 2100... so the glossy is not the problem, but rather something with your computer that is causing it to run hotter than mine, though it is probably within the normal range all computers are different to an extent... if you want the matte get it, but i can't believe why you would, i have a friend that has the matte with the same MBP as mine and everytime people see our computers together.. it is always the same comment .. oh it looks beautiful,, why is yours so plain.... everytime...

but it is personal preference and i can respect that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have a friend that has the matte with the same MBP as mine and everytime people see our computers together.. it is always the same comment .. oh it looks beautiful,, why is yours so plain...

Hence my "shiny toy" theory. People are attracted to the shiny one. It is beautiful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is not because of the glossy screen, and that is for you or others like you...

LOL ~ Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that glossy had ANYTHING to do with the heat! I was merely saying that the temp difference was why I didn't get the MBP. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool bro... each to his/her own.. whatever makes you smile whenyou hit the power button, i like shiny toys, that is all.. great discussion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
dude you have to get the glossy. that was a huge desicion for me before last week and ever since i got my 17 mbp tuesday im glad i got the glossy. the colors are really vibrant and it has very good blacks. i have it out in my back yard right now and the sun isnt even a factor with glare. glossy is the perfect decision

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.