• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

ZFS To Become Default File System In Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Article

Not sure if this should go in this forum or in the OS X Operating System forum, but here it is! This one feature alone is enough to make me upgrade to 10.5. I can't tell you how excited I am by this! ZFS has virtually unlimited capacity support (16 exabytes per storage pool, file system, file, or file attribute) and many awesome features in terms of RAID, storage management, etc. My only question is what Apple will do with their desktops - ZFS is best implemented in a multi-drive environment. There are rumors that the Mac Mini and 17" iMac are going to be killed off, so maybe a Mac Pro "Lite" tower or dual-drive iMac?

Perhaps overcome with excitement (and forgetting that Apple doesn't like such pre-emptive disclosures), Sun's Jonathan Schwartz announced today at Sun event in Washington D.C. that Apple would be making ZFS "the file system" in Mac OS 10.5 Leopard (video link, requires RealPlayer).

In fact, this week you'll see that Apple is announcing at their Worldwide Developer Conference that ZFS has become the file system in Mac OS 10.

Rumors of Apple's interest in ZFS began in April 2006, when an OpenSolaris mailing list revealed that Apple had contacted Sun regarding porting ZFS to OS 10. The file system later began making appearances in Leopard builds.

ZFS has a long list of improvements over Apple's current file system, Journaled HFS+. More information on ZFS is available at the ZFS homepage and Wikipedia.

Reaction score
ZFS can be used with external back up drives as well, so I don't think Apple is going to drop their most popular desktop machine, the 17" iMac.

It's probably good for Time Machine, and Time Machine is only worth it if you have an ext. HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
ZFS sounds good. Does anyone know if it will be possible to wipe your current OS X 10.4 install with it's current HFS+ file system and install the new OS X 10.5 with ZFS?

I know that this is in the future but does anyone have an opinion by going by past experiences with Apple and their File System upgrades?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
ZFS sounds good. Does anyone know if it will be possible to wipe your current OS X 10.4 install with it's current HFS+ file system and install the new OS X 10.5 with ZFS?

I know that this is in the future but does anyone have an opinion by going by past experiences with Apple and their File System upgrades?

As far as I know, installing a new file system requires a complete wipe - you would need to backup all of your files and programs before installing 10.5. Assuming ZFS is the new default, we'll learn more at WWDC next week :)

Reaction score
No updating requires a wipe, not even installing OS X on a computer that can run it and that is running only OS 9.

I'd be surprised if this changes for 10.5.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
No updating requires a wipe, not even installing OS X on a computer that can run it and that is running only OS 9.

I'd be surprised if this changes for 10.5.

I was only referring to installing a new file system. I would assume that going from HFS+ to ZFS is like going from FAT32 to NTFS...requires you to reformat your hard drive and then install your operating system again.

Reaction score
This no-Mac-mentioned story on Sun's site says that:
Sun continues to support the UFS file system.
If Apple switches, it might support HFS, too.

Please, God, no more emulators.

Edit: By support, I mean ZFS by itself, not Sun or Apple support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
i tried to read up on this filing system and was dumbfounded. i have no idea what the benefits are to it.

Reaction score
i have no idea what the benefits are to it.
I don't understand much of it, either. But it's fun to think about.

The last time a company pre-empted a Jobs announcement it was Adobe, wasn't it? And soon after, Jobs anounced Aperture.

Then IDG Books moved its computer exposition to Boston from New York, or the other way around. Jobs pulled out, if I remember correctly, and banned IDG's books from the Apple website.

So if Sun's CEO ignored history for the sake of making a splash announcement, maybe Jobs is rewriting his speech to announce that Apple bought Sun just to fire him.

This story says:
ZFS is afilesystem developed by Sun that is 128-bit, meaning it offers 16 billion billion times the capacity of 32- or 64-bit systems -- virtually unlimited by today's standards. ZFS also offers increased performance because it is transactional object model rather than more traditional I/O mechanisms.

Another purported benefit of ZFS is the elimination of various administration and maintenance routines required by other filesystems. For instance, the fsck command never has to be run, even if the system is shut down in an unclean fashion -- the creators claim that ZFS has never lost data integrity or leaked a single block after thousands of forced violent crashes.
The story from a link in a previous post makes it sound like ZFS is the JavaScript of OSes. It doesn't care whether a system is little endian or big endian.

Maybe ZFS could have eliminated the app mess brought on by the switch to Intel. For that matter, maybe it could have eliminated the mess when Apple switched to OS X. But more to the point, ZFS might allow Windows apps to run natively on Leopard.

On the other hand, if every app has to be rewritten yet again, there'd be blood on the streets of Cupertino. There might be, anyway, if ZFS means all those rewrites are moot.

Reaction score
I don't remember where exactly but I saw a demo on the web about ZFS and the features and usability look pretty slick from a geeky standpoint. It was all done in CLI and most of the neat stuff that it showed would be useful for admins and uber geeks with huge home networks. On the other hand it looks very easy to use which would fit nicely with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
As far as I know, installing a new file system requires a complete wipe - you would need to backup all of your files and programs before installing 10.5. Assuming ZFS is the new default, we'll learn more at WWDC next week :)

Thanks for the info. I have no problem doing a wipe as long as it's easy. I just don't want it to be as difficult as it was for me to switch from FAT32 to NTFS (that one took ages and wasted a good part of a day and several attempts to format the drive and to get my file sizes correct).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was only referring to installing a new file system. I would assume that going from HFS+ to ZFS is like going from FAT32 to NTFS...requires you to reformat your hard drive and then install your operating system again.

Going from FAT32 to NTFS doesn't require a wipe (the command is 'convert c: /ntfs'). Going from NTFS to FAT32 can also be done, but you'll need a third party program like Partition Magic.

Likewise, I can't see why Apple couldn't just write a conversion utility.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Going from FAT32 to NTFS doesn't require a wipe (the command is 'convert c: /ntfs'). Going from NTFS to FAT32 can also be done, but you'll need a third party program like Partition Magic.

Likewise, I can't see why Apple couldn't just write a conversion utility.

Interesting, I was under the impression that it always required a re-format to get there. Good to know, thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Leopard partially uses ZFS.

What are they doing, picking petals off a flower? It does, it doesn't, it does, it doesn't...:Shouting:

I thought the same thing. At least they're providing it as an option. That should at least quell the concerns of professionals using REALLY big volumes.

Reaction score
I kind of figured it would be on servers first, you can't buy an iMac with that big a hard drive anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Leopard partially uses ZFS.

What are they doing, picking petals off a flower? It does, it doesn't, it does, it doesn't...:Shouting:

Remember though that Apple didn't say Leopard would use ZFS, it was that guy from Sun who said it, and the Apple community took him at his word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.