Loop Packs for Garage Band?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've been using the loops that come with Garageband and sure they're good but they are kinda limiting at times. Just cause there's not enough of them. In number and variety.

My question is what would be good to look into purchasing to get some more loops. Specifically I'm looking into more piano, bass and drum loops with a heap of orchestral ones too. Sure any loops actually would be useful too.

Would the Garageband expansion packs be worth getting? It's just I've heard a few mixed reviews on them. And would like someone's opion on this? And if not what else could I look into.

Thanks heaps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
I've got one of the Jam Packs, can't for the life of my remember which one, but I do use it on occasion, mostly for drum loops, as I "play" every other instrument myself (I do have a real drum kit, just not the greatest drummer as of yet). I'm looking into the Orchestra one myself, I'd like to have some better sounding stringed instruments to throw into a tune every once in a while.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Supposedly the orchestra pack doesn't have any solo string loops in it. Only multiple strings loops and the like. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of looking elsewhere for orchestral loops. Cause for $150 I want the complete package. All kinds of loops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Does it not have the "virtual instruments" though? Really, I could care less about the loops, I rarely use them, I'm more interested in the instruments and I'll play the musical bits myself on my midi keyboard.

Reaction score
The extra packs do have a lot of new instruments in it. I only have the dance jam pack, which had a lot of techno synthesizers etc. So I guess a classical pack would have some good variety of orchestra instrumentations, like trombones or a proper classical drum kit. Check the website.

Reaction score
Some strings and orchestral instruments made by this guy, and they're free. There's some other goodies too but can't remember them off the top of my head.

http://benboldt.spymac.com/

The Jampacks are useful in that you get instruments as well as the loops. Rhythm section has the most drums, bass etc. I've got the World Music one and it's a gem. There's also lots of free stuff on the net if you search.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.