mac mini G4 with Classic os 9

Reaction score
I want to buy a mini but to use with classic system 9 so to use Quark Xpress 4 here in Greece. Is there anything to know beside beeing G4? Do all machines running below X 10.39 also run OS 9?
Are the 1.24 Ghz machines suit for mac os 9?
Obviously it will be a used one, and no, Intel cannot run Quark Xpress here in Greece so Intel is not an option.
Please give me some specs to ask for when i do the search so i don't end with a useless machine to my needs.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Firstly is there an alternative OS X program that will work for you? And fill your needs? Like maybe a later version of Quark Express? I think version 7 of it is out now.

http://www.quark.com/products/xpress/7sysreq.html

But if you insist on using your version 4 of the software, you'll need to get any G4 or previous machine running OS 10.3.9 or earlier. And you'll also need a seperare copy of system 9.2.2 I think 9.1 was released by apple on disc and 9.2.2 was a downloadable update to 9.1

And a second thing will this version 4 you want to use work in classic mode (ie OS X emulation system 9.2.2) or will you have to reboot into system 9.2.2 and use the program natively there.

These are just a few things to think about.

OP
O
Reaction score
To start, thanks for the help.
It is a matter of greek fonts that makes me want to use the old express, hence the 9 System.
I was thinking if to have to boot again or to emulate the 9 system through X. The only "problem" would be Photoshop as when run in emulated systems it uses only 1 Gb of Ram even though you muight have 2 Gb in your system. So then, is needed a reboot (i do that on my big G4).
So a mini mac of 1.24 GHz with Power Pc processor will suit to what i need?

thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.